Tuesday, January 14, 2014

The 15 Most Amazing Women Singers (Updated January 17th, 2014)

Hello,

Jennifer Nettles first solo CD, "That Girl", went on sale January 14th, 2014. Thanks to my friends at Spotify I was able to listen to "That Girl". I love Sugarland's music and Nettles' great voice, but I've got to say "That Girl" isn't that good. However it got me thinking about amazing women's voices and who might be the best female singer ever.

This list will change at least a few times as I'm working on it, but here's the Top 14 for now. Looking at this list you can see my love of the first few seasons of "American Idol", too bad it's a shell of its former self now and needs to be cancelled. But we know the greediest network, Fox, won't cancel it until they suck every penny out of it that they can. They could care less about the show's legacy only how many nickels they can squeeze out of the very tired franchise. It's probable when I'm done with this blog that there won't be 3 singers, who got their start on "AI", in the Top Ten.

This list is more about talent, a great voice and picking the best songs. Such things as personality play little in this Top Ten- which is what explains Mariah Carey being on the list. As I'm working on this I'm realizing how hard it is to rank all these amazing singers. Again there will be many changes.

Dishonorable mentions: Avril Lavigne, she has an okay voice, just her sneering singing style grates after awhile. Miley Cyrus, I'm sorry, but she can't sing.

Female singers I love, but aren't the greatest vocalists ever: the fantastic Madonna, Alanis Morrissette, Janis Jackson, Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, Rihanna, Aimee Mann, Taylor Swift, Shania Twain, Tracy Chapman, Neneh Cherry, Cyndi Lauper, Donna Summer, Cyndi Lauper and Paula Abdul.

Other great female singers: Tina Turner, Celine Dion (who would be on my list, but her songs are less than great), the Queen of Soul herself Aretha Franklin, Leona Lewis, Annie Lennox and Stevie Nicks.

15) Janis Joplin:

"Piece Of My Heart":



Janis Joplin at Woodstock (partial set):



14) Hayley Williams, singer for Paramore:

"CrushCrushCrush":



"Misery Business":



Paramore in concert at the iTunes fest April, 2013:



13) Natalie Maines:

"Not Ready To Make Nice":



"You Were Mine":



"Everybody Knows":



12) Barbara Striesand:

Definitely a Top 500 song, "The Way We Were":



"Evergreen":



11) Carrie Underwood (It certainly doesn't hurt that she's one of the most beautiful women in the world):

"So Small":



Carrie showing her rock side on "Paradise City":



Who would cheat on Carrie Underwood? Is she too gorgeous, too talented or too nice. Ah, to have such problems. A warning to the man foolish enough to cheat on Carrie:



10) Jennifer Nettles:

"Stay"(Her voice is so powerful on this song.) :



"Baby Girl":



"Just Might (Make Me Believe)":



Here's Sugarland and Adele, who's a bit lower on the list:



9) Christina Aguilera:

"Genie In A Bottle":



"Stronger":



"Beautiful":



8) Jennifer Hudson (Sadly Miss Hudson hasn't found enough songs that are worthy of her great voice.):

"And I'm Telling You I'm Not Going":



"One Night Only":



7) Lea Michelle:

"Take A Bow":



"Taking Chances":



"Don't Rain On My Parade":



"Torn" (One of the sexier songs ever):



6) Kelly Clarkson:

"Stronger":



"Miss Independent" (Although the sound isn't great, I believe this video shows just how powerful her voice is.) :



"Low":



5) Adele:

"Rolling In The Deep":



"Rumor Have It" (Live):



"If It Hadn't Been For Love"(Live) :



"Make You Feel My Love":



4) Sinead O'Connor (A bunch of amazing songs and her fantastic voice make Miss O'Connor #4):

"Success Has Made A Failure Of Our Home":



"No Man's Woman":



"Mandinka":



"Black Boys On Mopeds" (Live):



"I Want Your (Hands On Me)":



"Mother (With Roger Waters Live) This whole video is amazing:



"The Emperor's New Clothes":



It probably seems that I have a disproportionate amount of videos for O'Connor, but so many of her songs could be the soundtrack of my life. No song is more appropriate than "The Last Day Of Our Acquaintance". (I love everything about this song.):



3) Mariah Carey (Look how great she looks here, so fresh faced with such a bright future ahead of her. What happened to her, what caused her to turn into the "American Idol" Mariah Carey?) :

"Someday":



"Vision Of Love" (One of the greatest female vocal performances ever!) :



"Hero":



"I'll Be There":



"Love Takes Time":



2) Whitney Houston (Combining extrordinary looks and THAT voice, the incomparable Miss Houston):

"The Greatest Love Of All":



"Saving All My Love For You":



"Love Is A Contact Sport" (Her sexy and playful side.) :



"Didn't We Almost Have It All":



"Where Do Broken Hearts Go" (Live):



When she started losing her voice, she tried to cover that by singing songs like they weren't written. Sadly what happened at the end to that great voice. The way she sings this song here you wouldn't even know how great of a song "I Didn't Know My Own Strength" is:



This is how the song should really sound:



1) Sarah Brightman:

"Angel of Music":



"Eden":



"Think Of Me":



"Time To Say Goodbye":



"Tell Me On A Sunday":



"Don't Cry For Me Argentina":



themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites