Saturday, January 11, 2014

Spotify Is Perfect For Every Mood, Phase and Taste

Hello,

This is the second or third blog I've written about Spotify, I absolutely love that website. I love that for not one red cent I can listen to any kind of music I want. Not only that but for how how long I want and for how many times I want. All in the comfort of my home.

I recently went through extreme Disco cravings. What did I do to satisfy those cravings? I went to Spotify, although I have several disco classics on my iTunes. I was able to listen to the only two true Disco legends the Bee Gees and Donna Summer. However I was also able to listen to music from Peaches & Herb, The Village People, KC and the Sunshine Band, Chic, Earth Wind & Fire and other musicians. I realize that many of the great Disco songs are from one hit wonders.



Today I'm listening to the music of John Mellencamp, again thanks to Spotify. I'm able to follow Mellencamp through his 80's hey day. That hey day started with "American Fool" and was followed by "Uh-HUH!", "Scarecrow", "The Lonesome Jubilee" and "Big Daddy".

1980's "Nothin' Matters and What If It Did" was probably the first CD that Mellencamp received true exposure. It features the songs "Ain't Even Done With The Night" and "This Time". We see his career expand with 1982's "American Fool", home to such hits as "Hurts So Good" and "Jack and Diane". That last song probably being Mellencamp's first humongous hit. In 1983 Mellencamp's career grew thanks to "Uh-HUH", home to such great songs as "Crumblin Down", "Pink House" and "The Authority Song." Three pretty great songs, but that CD didn't take him to the next level. In my opinion 1985's "Scarecrow" was his peak. Overall his most consistent CD, nearly every song was good. Mellencamp's ode to farmers on "Rain On The Scarecrow" was a beautiful song of support and also a condemnation of the greed of others that hurt farmers. This CD has several hits, "Small Town", "Lonely Ol' Night", "R.O.C.K. In The USA" as well as several excellent album tracks. Such great songs as "Rumbleseat", "The Kind of Fella I Am" and "The Face Of The Nation"

Sadly after that peak Mellencamp had one decent CD left in him in "The Lonesome Jubilee". That CD features such great Mellencamp songs as "Paper In Fire" and "Check It Out", but it's clear now that Mellencamp's career was no longer in ascent. Then in 1989 Mellencamp's weakest 80's CD was released, "Big Daddy" which is highlighted by "Pop Singer". (Thanks to Wikipedia)

I was able to follow Mellencamp's 80's output thanks to Spotify.



I buy music occasionally- I know call me crazy. But before buy something, I make sure it's worthy of my iTunes. One of my favorite thing about Spotify is that I can listen to music I may want to buy. Not only does Spotify not cost me any money, but in fact it saves me money. I have not bought many CDs because listening to them on Spotify I realize they aren't very good. Any CD that looks good I'll listen to on Spotify and determine if it's worthy of my iTunes.

Thanks Spotify for providing so much great music to people who are as cheap as myself.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites