Tuesday, December 16, 2014

The Amazing Voice of Stevie Nicks, The Devastating Finale of "Broadchurch" (Slight Spoilers)

Hello,

I'm not a big fan of Stevie Nicks most recent CD "24 Karat Gold- Songs From The Vault", but I love it's first song "Starshine":


And how many people have ever had a better voice than Miss Nicks?

"The Chain": (Live)


"Landslide":


"Rhiannon":


The trailer for the amazing first season of "Broadchurch":


One of my favorite television shows of 2013 was the ITV drama "Broadchurch", what a great show! The only downside of the show was the finale, which I hated. I especially hated the whole storyline of how Joe wanted to hug his son's friend, Danny Latimer. Latimer is the boy who is murdered, which is the case the whole season revolves around. The Joe and Danny hugging storyline was creepy and lame. I'm not sure of the proper word. It's so bad I wondered if the creators of "Broadchuch" let "The Killing" show runner Veena Sud decide how the finale would end? Yes, it was that bad. Thankfully that was pretty much the only misstep.

But while all the acting was great, I can't fail to mention the acting of David Bradley. He played the role of early suspect/ small time businessman Jack Marshall with such great ability. The audience was never sure of what Marshall's motivations were, but Bradley played this character with great skill. Although we never knew whether he was a hero or creep, we couldn't fail to have great empathy for him. When his character committed suicide, that tore me apart more than any piece of fiction should.

For the next several months I didn't think much more about "Broadchurch". I heard that there was going to be an American adaptation of the show, which was "Gracepoint". I was still so disappointed by the finale of "Broadchurch" that I had no interest in seeing this remake.

However my Mom fell in love with "Gracepoint" and I heard updates as that show's 10 episodes progressed. Anyway the finale of "Gracepoint" was just a few days ago. She had a similar experience to me, she liked the show but wasn't so excited about the finale. So we discussed the comparison and contrast between the two finales. From what she said about "Gracepoint", the only word I came up with was convoluted.

While we were having this conversation I realized that I'd forgotten so much about the "Broadchurch" finale. Thankfully it's on Netflix now and last night I watched it's finale again. For whatever reason it's finale this time was 1000 times better, although I knew who the killer was. Again I especially loved the final scene when all those fires were lit in Danny's honor, spine tingling stuff.

Despite it having some missteps, overall the first season was amazing. This is the kind of show/ movie that happens so rarely now where the emphasis is on story. The great story was only enhanced by great acting. Even when we found out who the killer was, we couldn't but help to still feel for Joe Miller. The characters personalities weren't black or white but shades of grey.

Watching the finale has made me interested in actually watching season 2 of "Broadchurch". Even if I had known there was going to be a season 2 I wouldn't have had any interest in seeing it. But now I look forward to watching it.

The season 2 trailer of "Broadchurch":



Sadly probably for financial reasons "Gracepoint" was stretched to 10 episodes. That was a mistake, because at 8 episodes "Broadchurch" was a perfect tightly wound universe of it's own. I don't think it's much of a surprise that there won't be a season 2 of "Gracepoint". 

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites