Monday, December 1, 2014

themusicaddict's Songs That Have Multiple Good Versions

Hello,

All of us can probably think of multiple songs that have one amazing version and one below average version. Pseudo Echo's cover of Lipps Inc. amazing "Funky Town" anyone? What the hell was Madonna thinking when she recorded a cover of "American Pie"? My special thanks to retroCrush's Bad Covers list: http://www.retrocrush.com/archive2007/badcovers/part3.html

This blog is about those songs that have multiple good versions.

Don Henley's "The Boys of Summer":


The Atari's "The Boys of Summer"- I wanted to add a video of this song here, but sadly many songs that were formerly available on YouTube, no longer are available. There are no worthy covers of the Atari's "Boys of Summer" versions available at this time.

Abba's "Take A Chance On Me":


Erasure's "Take A Chance On Me", this version took this song to a new level. Although perhaps Erasure's "Abba-esque" was a bit of a reach.


Tears For Fears "Everybody Wants To Rule The World":


Lorde's "Everybody Wants To Rule The World" Here's a version of the song that is completely different from the original, but still a great song.


Turn about is fair play. Lorde's "Royals":


Florida State University's AcaBelles "Royals":


Bonnie Raitt's "I Can't Make You Love Me":


Kimberly Locke's "I Can't Make You Love Me" (I can't find the longer version):


Adele's "I Can't Make You Love Me" -that voice!-



I agree with many of retroCrush's worst covers selections, but I disagree with a couple. 

I quite like Joss Stone's cover of the White Stripes "Fell In Love With A Boy". Again taking a great song, putting a twist on it that works is always good. Also Miss Stone has that amazing voice.


I also like Save Ferris's ska cover of Dexy's Midnight Runner's "Come On Eileen":


Finally retroCrush rates this as the #1 worst cover song, but I disagree completely. In my opinion this version finds the heart of the song, which makes it all that much better. Eric Clapton's acoustic version of "Layla":


themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites