Saturday, December 13, 2014

themusicaddict's Things I'm Not Writing About Today: The Impossibly Gorgeous Stana Katic Etc.

Hello,

I've been busy of late looking for, finding and starting a new job. So I've got a bit behind on my TV watching and just last night was able to watch the seventh episode of "Castle" season 7. I'm still a few weeks behind, but will catch up quickly. Anyway I had a great surprise last night when I watched that seventh episode, "Once Upon a Time in the West".

"Castle" remains a great show, even in its 7th season, an amazing cast with a lot of chemistry and whip smart writing. But one of it's most likable ingredients has always been the appearance and character of Kate Beckett, as played by Stana Katic.

The impossibly gorgeous Stana Katic:


Dearest Netflix I wasn't really aware of "Castle" it's first two or three seasons, thus I've never seen those episodes. Can you please bring the first 6 seasons of "Castle" to Netflix. Thanks in advance.

Every year I pick a Kickstarter project to get behind. In 2013 it was EarlyRise's second CD, which they hadn't recorded yet and were looking for money to do so. I liked their previous music that I contributed to that CD. Due to the illness of their lead singer, Orly Lari, that album hasn't been recorded yet. I understand that life happens and I'm waiting patiently for that CD. The Kickstarters on this project were updated with the information that the record has been written, they are just now waiting for Orly to recover. Best wishes to EarlyRise.

In 2014 I put some of my limited funds behind Andrew Curry's "Here Comes The Reign Again". Curry recruited several bands to do covers of classic 80s songs, thus "Here Comes The Reign Again" is obviously a play on the Eurythmics "Here Comes The Rain Again". I thought that was a great idea so I contributed.

There's no guarantee of the quality of the product, but what the heck I thought it was a great idea. Sadly "Here Comes The Reign Again" isn't very good. Some of these songs have had the life completely sucked out of them by terrible, slowed down arrangements. Honestly the best covers are the songs that are closest to the original version.

Of the 29 songs on this double CD, the only song I gave five stars to was Bleu's cover of "Don't You (Forget About Me)". I gave four star ratings to Chris Price's "Don't You Want Me", The Corner Laughers cover of Madness' "Our House", The Davenports "Freedom", Minky Starshine's "True" and People On Vacation's "Cruel Summer".

But I rated the other 23 songs 3 stars or less, with 16 songs receiving either two stars or one stars. The least satisfying covers were Corin Ashley's "If You Leave", Eytan Mirsky and Alyson Greenfield's "No One Is To Blame", Graham Alexander's "They Don't Know", Ken Stringfellow's "Digging Your Scene", Mike Doughty "Relax" and Rachel Yamagata's "Do You Really Want To Hurt Me". All those one star songs are done in by terrible arrangements.

Quick reviews: The 2003 movie "The Core". With a cast featuring Hillary Swank (who was amazing in "Million Dollar Baby"), Aaron Eckhart and Stanley Tucci, what could go wrong? Well this didn't go  wrong necessarily, but it was much less than the sum of its parts. It's a video movie.

I've read a lot of great reviews for "Safety Not Guaranteed", think I've going to give that a shot tonight. I read that "Safety Not Guaranteed" was available on Netflix on one of those Netflix recommendations sites. I went to watch it last night, but it's no longer available there. I was a little disappointed.

Instead I watched "Devil In A Blue Dress" starring Denzel Washington, Don Cheadle and Jennifer Beals amazing legs. These books are based on Walter Mosley's Easy Rawlins novels, which I've long been a fan of. This was a pretty good adaptation. I was glad to see Mosley was one of the executive producers and I took that as a good sign. I also loved the noirish aspect of this movie. But what's up with the guy walking around the neighborhood wanting to cut down trees?

Last weekend I watched "Lost Boys" with my 13 year old daughter. It's the first time I've seen it in years and it wasn't quite as good as I remember. Although it's still a good movie with a great soundtrack. My daughter thought it was freaky. I told her if she thought that was freaky, she should watch "Flatliners".

Current book I'm reading is Earnest Cline's "Ready Player One", its been good so far.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites