Saturday, December 20, 2014

Things I'm Not Writing About Today, December 20th, 2014: Oakstone Academy's Oakapella Kickstarts

Hello,

Westerville, Ohio's own Oakstone Academy have their own acappella choir. Apparently any thing in the world of acappella has to include a pun, thus the name of their group is Oakapella. Now I know very little about this group. But a close friend of mine's daughter is part of this choir, so I wanted to throw my support behind them. Other than the three videos on Youtube, I've never seen them perform. Also those videos are 2.5 years old, so the choir probably has almost completely turned over since then. Here's a couple of songs by the 2012 version of Oakapella:





They have taken to Kickstarter so that they can make their own CD. Their very modest goal is to earn $1500 and they are almost 2/3rds of the way there. They've only had this project going for a few days. The project still has 26 days left, so I expect them to make their goal easily.

Via Kickstarter's website I sent a suggestion to Aaron Loskota, Oakstone's choir director, to upload more of their music on to Youtube.

Other things I'm not writing about today include "Exodus: Gods and Generals". Let's start with the good things first. The cinematography is amazing. The shots of hundred of arrows in the air at the same time is breathtaking. Also the wave of the Red Sea is brilliant. The acting is okay, but I get tired of seeing the same actors in what seems to be nearly every movie made.

Here are some bad things: One word I had read about "Exodus" was that it was plodding. I'd agree with that word. Shouldn't one of the most dramatic stories of the the Bible be more dramatic on the screen? I didn't like God being portrayed as a child, or even worse a figment of Moses' imagination. Some of Christian Bales robe costumes made me think more of "Star Wars" than Moses.

Although I was glad that this movie did inspire me to pick up Jonathan Hirsch's "Moses: A Life". I hadn't realized how contentious of a relationship God had with Moses.

Madonna's "Rebel Heart": Due to leaks of some of the songs off the soon to be released "Rebel Heart", Madonna has released six tracks off that CD. Sadly all six of these songs are generic dance pop, there's no danger of any new ground being broken.

Here's a sample: the first song starts out with some promise, before devolving into a song about drugs. But after that it seems to be the same song over and over again. It quickly becomes unlistenable, sad that this is the best Madonna can do now.


Ever since the early 90s, her music has been hit and miss. In fact my favorite CD of hers over the last several years technically isn't even a Madonna CD. That CD is the soundtrack to "Evita". Those songs contain many of the same ingredients that made her 80s music so great. Great tunes, great melodies and the songs are fun. The Madonna/ "Evita" pairing was a genius decision.

"Buenos Aires":


"Rainbow High":



"High Flying Adored":



"Goodnight and Thank You":


It's sad that some of Madonna's most relevant music is based on a play from the late 70s. But "Evita" is her best CD of the last 20 + years and it's not even close. And if the six songs from "Rebel Heart" are a sign of her new music, then this won't be her next classic CD either.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites