Wednesday, November 9, 2016

themusicaddict's Review of Karin Slaughter's "Triptych" (Spoilers Galore)

Hello,

This is my brief review of Karin Slaughter's "Triptych". This is the first book in the now 9 book Will Trent series.

The main characters are policeman Michael Ormewood, Ormewood's cousin John Shelley, Trent, Trent's ex-lover Angie Polaski and a few others.

Briefly Michael Ormewood is a cop and the book starts with him being called to a notorious crime ridden housing project in Atlanta. He finds a woman murdered and her corpse no longer has her full tongue. The murder is bad enough by itself, but eventually they realize this is the work of a serial killer. Will Trent is called in from the Georgia Bureau of Investigation (GBI) to help with the case. There's a shocking twist coming up, but it completely caught me off guard. I didn't see the twist coming and it's done pretty well. It feels real, it's not just a twist to have a twist. Be warned nothing is what it seems to be.

Some things The book is written by a woman and so I was a bit surprised the language she used in describing women's body parts. A lot of slang and graphic terms. It's very realistic, but not very palatable. I like the different perspectives of the characters. For instance, Michael Ormewood's wife is Gina. Michael still thinks she's beautiful, but Angie Polaski refers to her as "mousy". Two different people are going to have two different perspectives. For instance, some people think Donald Trump will be a good President, but people with common sense know that he won't be.

Well what did I think about the book. I liked it so much that I already have the next two books in the series waiting for me at the library. I read the book very quickly, which due to limited time I rarely do. After finishing the book I was in that post reading a great novel afterglow and I excitedly spent a few minutes looking for the next book to read. I started reading Jodi Piccoult's "The Storyteller". I plan on reading Slaughter's "Fractured" next though.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites