Wednesday, November 30, 2016

themusicaddict's Review of Karin Slaughter's "Fractured" Will Trent Series Book (Small Spoilers)

Hello,

"Fractured" is book 2 in the Will Trent series, it was released in 2008. I wrote my review for the first book in the series, 2006's "Triptych" on November 9th, 2016. The next book in the series is the 2009 novel "Undone".

Book 2 continues the story of Will Trent, GBI agent, dyslexic and brilliant investigator. This time Trent is called into a case where one teenage girl is murdered and one teenage girl is kidnapped. The dead teenager is Kayla Alexander, who originally was mistaken for Emma Campano, the missing teen.

Trent is paired with Faith Mitchell, a woman that loathes him for good reason. He investigated her mother, who was a crooked cop. After some initial distrust, they find a way to work together. Mitchell quickly realizes Trent is a fair person and just wants to find the truth. She also figures out that he has trouble with reading. By the end of the book they work so well together that they become partners and will continue to work together in future installments. Trent continues is on again, off again relationship with Angie Polaski. Other than comfort I'm not sure what either one of them gets out of the relationship. I think those two need to break up and thank goodness Angie isn't pregnant.

Other familiar characters are back for book 2, people like Amanda Wagner, Hamish Patel and Charlie Reed. Also this book introduces Victor Martinez, who it seems may be a love interest for Faith Mitchell going forward.

After two books is the Will Trent series an absolutely amazing, can't put down book series. I would say no. But it does have a lot going for it. I like the characters, especially the very driven to find the truth Will Trent. I love Faith Mitchell and hopefully they would eventually get together, although they would have to resolve major roadblocks for that to happen. But Victor Martinez seems like a good guy.

Would I recommend "Fractured", yes I would. One thing about series is that the reader usually knows the major characters already from the previous books. That way the author can just dig into the story without explaining who everyone is. I would give this book a solid B, I already have Book 3 checked out from the library. That book being "Undone", this was my first experience with Will Trent. I read about 100 pages before realizing it was a later book in a series. Then I went back and read the first two books in the series. When I first was reading "Undone" I had a very difficult time putting it down.

Although I plan on reading "Undone" soon, that doesn't mean that's the next book I'll read. I'm also considering Pether Matthiessen's "The Snow Leopard", Paolo Bacigalupi's "The Windup Girl" and Jay McInerney's "Bright Lights, Big City". There's just not enough time to read all the great lit that has been written.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites