Monday, October 12, 2020

(Started October 12th, 2020) The Best Songs of the 50s, Part 1: Songs 1-17

 Hello,

Last night I watched the fantastic movie "Hearts In Atlantis". I read the story previously and loved it, just one of the many works of Stephen King that's so amazing. However there are some weird elements in the novella "Low Men In Yellow Coats" that I knew would probably be in the movie. Those weird elements are easier to handle when reading them rather than watching them. Anyway I decided to watch "Hearts In Atlantis" yesterday and it was so good, I cried at the end like a baby. King is the master storyteller of our day, his characters are so fantastic and well written.

Anyway the acting this this movie was fantastic. Anthony Hopkins doing a great job is a given. But I also want to give a shout out to David Morse, one of the great character actors of our day. Also Anton Yelchin (R.I.P.) and Mika Boorem were fantastic. Hope Davis did a good job too, but I hated the character she played. 

Anyway one thing about the works of Stephen King is his inclusion of great songs, this movie captures so many of the great songs of the 50s. I thought it was time to post another blog of the best of 50s music.

1) Chuck Berry "No Particular Place To Go":

2) The Platters "The Great Pretender":

3) The Platters "Only You (And You Alone)":

4) Bo Diddley "Who Do You Love":

5) Elvis Presley "Heartbreak Hotel":

6) Elvis Presley "Hound Dog":

7) Buddy Holly and the Cricketts "That'll Be The Day":


8) The Isley Brothers "Shout":


9) Jerry Lee Lewis "Great Balls of Fire":


10) Frank Sinatra "I've Got You Under My Skin":


I know I've posted this songs dozens of times, but what is the 50s without this song capping off the decade? 11) The Platters "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes":

12) Bobby Darin "Splish Splash":

13) Bobby Darin "Mack The Knife":

14) Johnny Horton "The Battle of New Orleans":

15) Marty Robbins "Cool Water":
16) Marty Robbins "El Paso":

17) Percy Faith "Theme From A Summer Place":

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites