Sunday, May 18, 2008

R.E.M. "Accelerate" review part 2

So in part 1 of this post I reviewed the first 5 songs. In this post I will review the 6th through 17th songs.

The sixth song off this CD is the title track, "Accelerate". Out of the 6 songs so far 5 songs are straight ahead rockers. (Did I mention that R.E.M. is back?) Then for the seventh song we go to "Until The Day Is Done". This is the most mellow song on the CD so far. It is not quite a ballad but a very sweet song. The next song is "Mr. Richards". From the lyrics I don't know who Mr. Richards is, but whoever he is he really mesed up. Stipe repeats the refrain several times, "We know what's going on." Just like the first three songs of this CD have a theme, all of them are straight ahead rockers, the seventh through ninth songs also have a theme. All of these songs are bleak. There is a feeling of nervousness for the future. At the 2:40 mark of the third song "Sing for the Submarine" the song picks up a bit. In this song Stipe sings about, "These dreams seem real to me". The submarine is where he keeps his fearful feelings, is he alluding to the unconscious of his psyche? Then for the 10th song, it is back to the rockers with the very short rocker, "Horse To Water".

With the members of R.E.M. closing in on their 50's, they are certianly thinking about death and their dread of a bleak future. That being said that doesn't mean they can't have fun as the world falls apart around them. Another rocker, lyrically very similar, to "It's The End of the World As We Know It, And I Feel Fine" is "I'm Going To DJ". This is what Stipe sings in this song, "Death is pretty final, I'm collecting vinyl. I am going to DJ at the end of the world." Then here is where the fun part comes in, again Stipe sings, "I'm not going to go until I am good and ready".

Then the twelveth to seventeenth songs are all non-album tracks. Apparantally they have not had good luck with red heads, because they are very bitter in "Redhead Walking". It is certainly a different feeling then when Bruce Springsteen sings about his red-headed women. Another non-album track is the instrumental song, "Airliner". It has sort of a Los Straitjackets feeling to it. Then the final four songs are live live cuts that are pretty much note for note renditions of the album tracks. The four live tracks are "Horse To Water", "Living Well is the Best Revenge", "Until The Day is Done", and "Supernatural Serious". Again nothing new is really added by any of these songs, but they are a nice addition. Although listening to the live version of "Until The Day Is Done" made me think of how much of a feel for early R.E.M. that it has.

So for both non-R.E.M. and R.E.M. fans I would highly reccomend this CD. I give it a rating of 4-and-a-half out of five stars.

Then just a few random notes. I finally found out when Jennifer Hudson's first CD comes out, it will be released in September. It has been 4 years since her "AI" run and this is her first CD. Also she is appearing in the upcoming "Sex and the City" movie. So listen for her song, "Apotlight". A couple of other "AI" notes, Taylor Hicks will be on Broadway in "Grease". Apparantally he will be playing the Frankie Valli role. I think this is the kind of career that TCWNCBM will have. I don't think either will ever be a big star, they will just drift around on the periphery of the entertainment business. But hey that's better than a "real job".

I also read something funny, I would mention the source, but I can't remember where I read it. Someone has predicted that TCWNCBM, if he wins, will be the most successful male "AI" winner ever. I thought that was funny as that means his competition is Taylor Hicks and Ruben Stoddard. Both of those musicians haven't really tore up the entertainment industry since they won. In fact easily the most successful male "AI" contestant is Daughtry. Out of all musicians, he sold the most CD's in 2007. Not only did he get a lot of sales, but that is actually a pretty good CD. If David Cook is smart, he could have that same kind of career. In fact I think "winning" would be a hindrance for him. In the last poll I saw TCWNCBM leads David Cook 60% to 40% in who they think will win. Once it is over I am going to my best never to mention TCWNCBM ever again. I will let Teen Beat handle that.

Songs that have been rocking my iPod. 1) "One"- Creed. (I know they are mocked by many in the rock industry, but they have many great songs.) 2) "Shut Up"- Black Eyed Peas. This is one of those great songs that runs about a minute too long. 3) "The Kid Is Hot Tonight"- Loverboy. One of the all-time great 80's bands. 4) "Not Coming Home (Live)" Maroon 5. Although I thought they sucked on "American Idol". and 5) "Creepin' Up the Backstairs"- The Fratellis. This is a great band who has not received much publicity. I highly reccomend you get their great first CD, "Costello Music". Anyway that's it for now, I will be back tomorrow. themusicaddict

P.S. I know this is a music blog, but I am going to go and try to see "Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skulls" this week. If I do I will give you a quick review. I am very excited to see this movie. Peace

No comments:

Favorites