Thursday, May 29, 2008

Archie comments, Link to excellent Esquire article

Hello,

In the month plus I have been writing this blog, I have received 3 comments about what I have written. All 3 comments have been disagreements of my evualation of Archie's talent and his prospects for a successful career. The latest comment I received called me "an arrogant SOB" and "to say this kid will never be a big star is to wallow in your musical ignorance". This comment comes from a self-described "42year-old rock drummer". He calls himself "Steve". The first thing I would like to say to you Steve is that I am jealous that you have musical ability. The only way I can carry a tune is in a bucket. Second of all you are not the first person to call me a "SOB", nor probably the last. However I hardly think I am arrogant.

Again as I have discussed in my blog I don't like Archie as a singer, he just bores me to tears. (Again nothing against him personally, it would be fine with me if he becomes a superstar.) He reminds me a lot of Taylor Hicks, in fact I think he will have a similar career. He will have good sales of his first CD, but I predict that will be his peak. Taylor Hicks has been dropped by his label now due to poor sales. Although he just was cast in "Grease". So he is in all likelihood able to make a living from his singing. Another similarity that strikes me between Taylor Hicks and Archie is that both contestants had strong followings during their "AI" runs. Hicks fans were called the Soul Patrol and Archies fans are called the Archangels. However it looks like the Soul Patrol has abandoned Hicks and I think the same thing is going to happen with the Archangels.

Also my last word is besides David Archuleta how many other second place finishers can you name. I will give you a couple of minutes to think about it. This is how weak the second place position has been in "AI" history, arguably Clay Aiken has been the most successful second place finisher. He has solid sales, a devoted audience who attends his concerts and he recently appeared in Broadway in "Spam-a-Lot". That last one is his most impressive feat in my opinion. However let me ask you this question, "How many Clay Aiken songs can you name?". Also "How many Taylor Hicks songs can you name?" I can't name any for Aiken and the only one I can name for Hicks is the awful, "Do I Make You Proud?" (The answer is "No".)

That all being said I admit I could be wrong, David Archuletta could go on and be a huge star. Maybe the Archangels will stick with him like the Claymates have stayed with Clay Aiken. Also predicting who will be popular next year let alone 10 years is a very difficult process. I will review in an upcoming blog who Rolling Stone magazine called the "10 Artists To Watch for 2006". All I know is I will never buy any of his music or see him in concert unless he completely breaks out of his niche.
Also if you are interested in seeing interviews with Archie, he has interviews both at rollingstone.com and ew.com.

Also just a couple of other quick notes, in my reading I have read some more information about Jessica Sierra. She was the 10th place finisher of Season 4"American Idol". (That was the year the awesome Carrie Underwood won.) She is now more known for her drug habit than her singing. She recently appeared on Drew Pinsky's "Celebrity Rehab". Apparantally that did not work out real well for her and the last heard is that she is still battling and trying to get straight. So my prayers go out to her.

Also I had heard good things about this movie titled "Once". So I watched it with my beautiful wife the other night and I have to tell you this movie sucks. If it wasn't for my blog and trying to save you from crap, we would have turned it off about halfway through. A lot of the songs sung in the movie are great, but the story sucks. Not that there is really that much of a story. So stay far away from this movie, your money would be better spent buying the soundtrack.

Also here are the latest songs rocking my iPod, as always in no particular order. 1) "On and On"- The Bell 2) "Get Up, Stand Up"- Bob Marley 3) "Listen Like Thieves"- INXS. 4) "Baby Girl"- Sugarland. A great, great song. 5) "Wake Up"- Arcade Fire 6)
"1985"- Bowling For Soup. 7) "The River and Me"- Tim McGraw 8) "Perfect"- Flyleaf 9)
"Chicago"- Sufjan Stevens 9)"Spiral"- XTC

Also I have 3 great CD's that you should buy. 1) "The Rising"- Bruce Springsteen. This is his 9/11 CD and his reaction and feelings about that extremely sad day in world history. 2) "Funeral"- Arcade Fire. They have a never CD than this but this is easily their best CD. This will go down as one of the best CD's of this decade. 3) "Come on Feel the Illinoise"- Sufjan Stevens. All three of these CD's are must haves in your collection.

Then last and not least I am going to link you to an excellent article that is in last month's Esquire magazine. It goes into the toll of the Iraq War. The article is titled "The Things That Carried Him" and it is a must read. Here's the link:
http://www.esquire.com/features/things-that-carried-him

I am working a lot of hours this week, hopefully I will have my next blog out by Sunday at the latest. I have a lot of good stuff upcoming, including the first week on the charts for David Cook and the much beloved David Archuleta. Quickly one thing: David Cook told RS.com that his CD would be rock based. Really? I was expecting him to produce the next polka CD. Also I am going over the list of who Rolling Stone said would be rocking our 2006. Here's a hint if you really stretch it, they were about 30% accurate. In their defense that is not an easy thing to do. I will also go over the 8th placed "American Idol" contestants. As always I will try to keep you abreast on all the good music and will save you from bad music as much as possible.

Have the rest of a great week, themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites