Thursday, October 23, 2008

Guns n' Roses Welcome Back 2

Hello,

The Guns n' Roses momentum continues unabated. Can you believe this CD might actually come out in our lifetimes? Finally there has been an official release date set. "Chinese Democracy" will be released November 23rd, the Sunday before Thanksgiving. (November 23rd, 2008 is the official release date after many other dates were suggested.) So with new AC/DC, Metallica, Guns n' Roses and David Cook you can have a rockin' Thanksgiving. (Metallica just kicked off their tour Tuesday night in Phoenix with a rockin' 18 song set. AC/DC sold approximately 193,000 copies of "Black Ice" on it's first day of release. They kick off their tour October 28th.) The first single, also titled "Chinese Democracy", was released yesterday. It has received mixed reaction, although I think it is a great song. It sounds like vintage Guns n' Roses. Again Best Buy has it on it's website although as of this morning still no word on Guns n' Roses official website. With all this flurry of positive activity, I am increasing my chances of this CD actually coming out in 2008 to 10%.

To listen to this song for yourself go to www.q104.com/pages/news/gunsnroses. That website also has some other interesting things including their 1043 songs of 2007. Their #1 song is Led Zeppelin's "Stairway To Heaven". As I wrote previously, the reaction to the song has been mixed. As of noon today at ew.com the results so far of an Entertainment Weekly poll: There are three ways you can vote. Option 1) That took 15 years?: 53% Option 2) A new G n' R classic: 26% Option 3) It's okay, maybe it will grow on me: 21%.

Other Guns n' Roses news. Dr. Pepper said it would give a free Dr. Pepper to everyone in America if G n' R actually released this CD. They are sticking by that. To collect go to DrPepper.com on November 23rd and print off a coupon. However the coupon only lasts for 24 hours. One final note some local, independent stores have contracts to release "exclusive" CD's. For instance, here in SLC, local store Graywhale has procured copies of the new AC/DC "Black Ice" CD. It is supposedly to be sold exclusively at Wal-Mart. They got their hands on some import copies of that CD. From what I hear they have a contract that allows them to buy any CD that is an exlusive CD. That includes "Chinese Democracy", which is going to be sold exclusively through Best Buy. (themusicaddict supports people buying all of their music at local, independent stores rather than large multinational companies like Wal-Mart or Best Buy.)

While I breathlessly wait for "Chinese Democracy", some people are breathlessly waiting for the 2008 Presidential election. Some Presidential polls have Obama with a 12% lead. So we will see. For those of you who don't fall into those two highly divergent camps, here's a third option.

I have heard some great songs lately. One I am really surprised about is Ace Young's, "Addicted". This is a great song and I highly reccomend you track it down and buy it. I was able to get it free, but I don't remember where I got it from. Another great song is Whitney Duncan's "When I Said I Would". I saw the video on CMT as I was walking on my parent's treadmill this morning. The song is great and Miss Duncan is a gorgeous babe with a big voice.

I will finally tell you the hot new female country singer I have discovered is Ashton Shepherd. She sings the hell out of "Takin' Off This Pain" and "Sounds So Good". She has a strong, twangy voice. I usually don't like a twangy singing voice, but hers for some reason is great. I listened to her debut CD thanks to my friends at Rhapsody. The name of the CD is "Sounds So Good", it is pretty good for a first effort. This is why I get every free song I can get from iTunes and amazon.com as you never know which ones will be great songs. I got both of the songs mentioned free, one from the iTunes music store and one from amazon.com. She also has the lyric of the year from "Takin' Off This Pain". It is, "I got this cold beer in my right hand and in my left I got my wedding band. I've been wearing it around now for far too long, and I am more than ready to see it gone. And I'm the only one that can set myself free."

Also as we head into this Christmas season, I have a Christmas music suggestion for you. The band is named the Trans-Siberian Orchestra. They play rockin' Christmas music. They also do some traditional Christmas music, but all of it is very good. They also are about to go on tour as they are supporting a new Christmas CD this winter. So if you want to have a truly rockin' Christmas season, pick up their music or see them in concert. They will bring a smile to your face and put you in that Christmas spirit.

That is it for now. I should be back with Sunday, hopefully with more Guns n' Roses news. Have a great weekend and enjoy the lower gas prices, themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites