Thursday, June 18, 2009

Hello,

Sports usually serves as a diversion from reality, especially in these times when the economy is so bad. However sports and our sports heroes are subject to the same human frailties we all are. I was saddened to learn that BYU Head Basketball Coach, Dave Rose, has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. Both Steve Jobs and Randy Pausch, writer of "The Last Lecture" also have battled pancreatic cancer. (In fact in January, '09 doctors were worried that Jobs cancer reoccured.) Apparantally there are two main types of pancreatic cancer, both Steve Jobs and Dave Rose has the least dangerous type. One oncologist says that about 85% of those who have the same kind of pancreatic cancer Dave Rose has will still be alive in 5 years. My prayers go out to you and your family Dave Rose.

I'm going to post the following from sltrib.com without further comment:
The father of Utah singing hero and "American Idol" star David Archuleta pleaded no contest in January to patronizing a prostitute. Midvale police cited 47-year-old James J. Archuleta on Jan. 14 at a massage parlor called Queens Reiki, 7350 S. State Street, said Sgt. John Salazar.

Police had been investigating the business for several days after patients at a nearby doctor's office complained, Salazar said. The business was cited for operating without a license and Archuleta was given a citation for solicitation of prostitution "because he was sexually gratified by one of the masseuse girls," Salazar said. The masseuse was also cited.

Midvale Justice Court records show that Archuleta took a no contest plea in abeyance on Jan. 30. He paid a $582 court fee and completed a counseling class. The case will be dismissed at the end of the month if he doesn't repeat the crime.

Archuleta was the American Idol runner-up in 2008.

Jason Bergreen (sltrib.com reporter)

Last night my beautiful wife and I watched "Twilight", the movie based on Stephenie Meyer's excellent vampire novel. For me that was a major disappointment. I was very disappointed by the glacially slow pace. The heart of the story was there but the story was not told very well. Kristin Stewart and Robert Pattinson, who play Bella and Edward in the movie, are pale imitations of those same characters in the book. The director, Catherine Hardwicke, is not directing the second in the series "New Moon", which I think is a good idea. She was way out of her league in trying to direct this movie. My wife, who hasn't read the books, thought the movie was fine. However I don't see how anyone who read the books could like this movie. I'm giving this movie a generous D grade. (To completely simulate how glacially paced the movie "Twilight" is, take a half-hour to read this one paragraph.)

One final note: I keep on hearing good things about the pop/soul singer Adele and her debut CD, "19". I checked it out this morning via amazon.com and I was not impressed. I thought it was rather generic pop/rock music. I've heard a lot of good things about Adele, but I don't understand all the praise.

I'm back to work for the next five days. Have a great week, themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites