Sunday, July 22, 2012

Divorce/ Break Up's Greatest Hits

Hello,

I've been compiling this list of the greatest hits of divorce and break ups for a few days now. I even enlisted some of the singles group I'm in on Facebook. These songs include songs about the end of relationships from all different angles. Some of these things are pretty close to my situation and some are just great songs. What is it about heartbreak that can inspire such great songs? I understand why love can inspire great music, but how does anything good come out of something so difficult?

Lee Brice's "One More Day": (This song is about being away from the ones you love.)



The Greg Kihn Band's "The Break Up Song (They Don't Write Them That Anymore)":



This was a very popular and heartbreaking song when I was going through my divorce. Lady Antebellum's "Need You Now":



One of the most beautiful songs about ending relationships ever. Dan Seals "Everything That Glitters Is Not Gold": (All these years I thought Ol' Red was a dog, but this video indicates a horse. And I think they're right.)



Another appropriate Dan Seals song, "Addicted":



Some of the most eloquent words that have ever been written are about the loss of love:

See the stone set in your eyes 
See the thorn twist in your side 
I wait for you 

Sleight of hand and twist of fate 
On a bed of nails she makes me wait 
And I wait without you 

With or without you 
With or without you 

Through the storm we reach the shore 
You give it all but I want more 
And I'm waiting for you

U2's "With or Without You":



No Doubt's amazing "Don't Speak":



I know how hard it is to believe but eventually you recover and can finally move on. Heartbreak isn't a lifelong sentence and it makes true love all that much sweeter. A good sign that you are recovering is you start having a sense-of-humor about the end of the relationship:



Marc Chesnutt's "Going Through the Big D and Don't Mean Dallas":



Then of course there's Jerry Reed's classic "She Got the Goldmine" (A song that those who have to pay a lot of child support, alimony, pay on student loans....... can relate to very well.)



Pink is very open with her lyrics, even tweaking herself from time to time. She even got her ex-husband to appear in this video. Of course they got back together later. "So What":



"You're Going To Miss Me When I'm Gone":



Then of course there's the sad songs, such as "Don't Speak" and "Need You Now" up above. Here are a few more sad songs starting with Lonestar's "Not A Day Goes By":



What say you Whitney Houston? "Didn't We Almost Have It All". Listen to the power of her great voice, too bad she never found the peace she was looking for:



This is Buckcherry's heartbreaking and amazing "Sorry":



Clint Black's "Nobody's Home":



Let's go old school, and as only country songs can capture the sadness of the end of a relationship, Tammy Wynette's "D.I.V.O.R.C.E":



Tammy Wynette's "I Don't Wanna Play House":



Then the amazing Patsy Cline, "Three Cigarettes In An Ashtray":



Then there are the sad but hopeful songs. The relationship is over, but something good came out of it. For those getting out of relationships, there truly are good things that can come out of this. I truly did leave my marriage a better, broken somewhat, person:



Then yes one of those videos that I seem to have on my blog for any number of reasons. Rascal Flatts' "These Days":



Another one of my oft played classic songs, from one of the greatest voices in music history, the amazing Sinead O'Connor:



I have to admit I went through the pathetic stage a bit myself, but eventually realized I need to move on. Once I was able to let go, I was in a much more healthy place. I still wasn't ready to date, although I did, but I was headed in the right direction. Sticking with songs that are sad, but are edging into the pathetic zone, "Nothing Compares 2 U":




From the songwriting genius of Jim Steinman. There are even songs about getting back together, crazy talk if you ask me. Celine Dion's "It's All Coming Back To Me":


If I have time tomorrow, I'm compiling a list of the angry/cathartic break up songs.

No comments:

Favorites