Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Happy July 4th: What's More American Than The Beach Boys and Baseball?

Hello,

I just want to wish everyone a happy 4th of July today. Thanks to all the veterans who allow us all our freedoms that we enjoy today. However I think one of the best things about today for me is that I don't have to go to work! (Although I'm extremely grateful for the job I do have.) I know many people are playing "God Bless the USA" by Lee Greenwood today. I know Greenwood's song is a classic and was reminded of that fact again while listening to it last night watching fireworks.

However I like this song a bit better. First of all it's just a great song and is intensely funky. From James Brown, one of the most legendary singers of all-time, this is "Living In America":  (I always laugh when I hear this song because it makes me think of a classic Eddie Murphy comedy routine.)



I wrote yesterday that the "Pretty In Pink" MP3 soundtrack is available for sale for $2.99 at amazon.com for a week. It was only a couple of days ago that amazon.com also had Led Zeppelin "4" available for only $2.99. That probably is my favorite CD of all-time, although today's MP3 Daily Deal is also amazing. amazon.com has the amazing "Legend" by Bob Marley CD available for only $2.99. This deal is only for today, but sometimes these daily deals extend beyond one day. Pick it up! I would suggest you keep an eye on amazon.com for more great deals in the future. (For the record amazon.com doesn't compensate me in anyway for my recommendations.)

I think almost everyone is familiar with "No Woman, No Cry", "Buffalo Soldiers" and "I Shot The Sheriff". Here's a couple of my lesser known favorite songs from "Legend". This is "Redemption Song":



"Waiting In Vain":



One final amazon.com plug: You can pick up this incredibly addictive song for only .25c for a limited time:



Sorry I got a little sidetracked. Anyway last night I went to a 4th of July celebration. The finale was the fireworks, although a bit chintzy as they only lasted about 10 minutes. But as I warned my two kids that went with me, you can't complain about things that are free.

Before the fireworks, a local band played for two hours. That band's name is Endless Summer and as you can guess from their name, they are mainly a Beach Boys cover band. I was surprised as they were actually decent. But listening to Endless Summer play I realized how timeless so many of those Beach Boy melodies are. And what's a more American band than the Beach Boys?

With those songs still ringing in my ears I thought it would be appropriate to feature some of their songs on my blog. One of the Endless Summer members said that Utah had the first station to play a Beach Boys song. That was way back in 1962. Whether that's true or not, it's a good story. Also this year is the 50th anniversary of the Beach Boys and they are actually playing tonight in my home state. They are one of the very few all-time classic bands I haven't seen in concert. Enjoy to all those that are going to Stadium of Fire. From reviews of their recent concerts I've read they play about 40 songs and for about 2.5 hours.

Here are some of the Beach Boys classics. Here's the most famous song featuring a theremin, this is "Good Vibrations":



"I Get Around":



"409":



"Surfer Girl":



"California Girls":



"God Only Knows":



"Surfin' USA":



Speaking of things that are truly American. A few thoughts on the great sport of baseball, specifically the Pittsburgh Pirates. I'll explain why someone that lives in Salt Lake City likes the Pirates. A couple of years ago I read an article in Sports Illustrated about the Pirates. At that time they were so downtrodden and I guessed that relatively few people were fans. Although I was already closely following 4 teams, I added them to my favorite teams.

The Pirates frankly have been awful the last several years. They played much better last season and are doing even better this season. I'm hoping for a historically good season for the Pirates this season. But what I truly want to know is: Are the Pirates for real this season? This season the Pirates look to be real almost halfway through the season. Pittsburgh is 44-36 right now. It's the first time they've been 8 games over .500 in 20 years. This is a team that hasn't had a winning season since 1992, also the last year they made the playoffs. This might be year that Pittsburgh breaks through on both counts.

Some stats from my friends at espn.com. As mentioned above the Pirates are now 44-36. As I'm writing this blog they are also currently playing. In fact they looks like they are going to win today. If they continue winning and the Reds lose later tonight, the Pirates will be alone in first place in the NL Central Division. (Since the Reds are playing another one of my teams, the Dodgers, I'm doubly cheering for the Reds to lose today.) As of July 3rd the Pirates have won 6 of 7 games. Their offense has exploded of late, starting on an offensive tear on June 1st. They scored 8 runs that night and haven't let up since. The Pirates have scored 60 runs in their last 7 games, obviously it's not coincidental they've won 6 of 7.

Also congrats to Chipper Jones. Last night he had his first 5 hit game since August 11th, 1992. Jones, who plans on retiring at the end of this season, has hit in 10 consecutive games. He's hitting at a .313 clip this season. He was recently named to the All-Star Game as an injury replacement, replacing the injured Dodgers outfielder Matt Kemp.

Currently according to espn.com the Braves only have a 43.9% chance of playing in the playoffs. But maybe if they put a run together, they can send Jones out in style. I'm sure he would love to win his second World Series in his final season.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites