Thursday, December 5, 2013

themusicaddict's Greatest CDs Of All-Time: U2's "Achtung Baby"

Hello,

If someone were to ask you what the greatest CDs of U2 are, what would you say? For most people "Achtung Baby" probably wouldn't come to mind. For me the first U2 CD that would come to mind is 1987's "Joshua Tree", of course it a deserves classic status. Some might say 1988's "Rattle And Hum", which I wouldn't be able to argue with either. I'm sure you'd also get votes for 2000's "All That You Can't Believe" (which is another classic) and some old school U2 fans might also name "War" as a classic. 

But I do wonder how many people would think of "Achtung Baby". That's too bad as it's a definite musicaddict classic and it just might be U2's best CD. Listen to the CD again and read the lyrics before disagreeing with me.

Here's the entire "Achtung Baby" in all it's glory:


1) "Zoo Station":




2) "Even Better Than The Real Thing":


The live version with "Mysterious Ways"


3) "One" may have the greatest lyrics of any popular song ever, I especially love these lyrics:

Did I disappoint you?
Or leave a bad taste in your mouth?
You act like you never had love
And you want me to go without

I also like these lyrics as the song slowly builds:

Did I ask too much?
More than a lot.
You gave me nothing,
Now it's all I got
We're one
But we're not the same
Well we
Hurt each other
Then we do it again
You say
Love is a temple
Love a higher law
Love is a temple
Love the higher law
You ask me to enter
But then you make me crawl
And I can't be holding on
To what you got
When all you got is hurt


Here's "One" with the lyrics:


4) "Until The End Of The World": This might be my favorite of all of U2's songs, not just on this CD. This song not only rocks, but the lyrics are great and an all around great song. (It also reminds me of someone from my past.)



Here's the live version:



5) "Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses":



6) "So Cruel" (Although not one of U2's most well known songs, this is a pretty great song):



7) "The Fly":



Live:



8) "Mysterious Ways":



9) "Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World":



10) "Ultra Violet (Light My Way)":



11) "Acrobat" (A song that sadly is nowhere as well known as it should be):



Live:



12) "Love Is Blindness":


And from 2012's extremely heartbreaking "The Great Gatsby", here's Jack White's haunting cover of "Love Is Blindness":



I suggest that U2 is one of the most influential bands of the 80s. If that's true though why haven't more people made covers of their songs? Other than the above song I can't think of one U2 song that's been covered by someone else.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites