Thursday, December 26, 2013

themusicaddict's Greatest CDs of All-Time: AC/DC's "Back In Black"

Hello,

"Back In Black" is notable for many things, but I'm going to highlight two of those things. The first is it's AC/DC's first CD following the death of Bon Scott. Scott died at the too young age of 33, he died of alcohol poisoning during the writing of the songs for this CD. Brian Johnson became the lead singer a few months later. The second thing the album is known for is it's AC/DC's biggest album ever. "Back In Black" has sold over 50 million copies. It's also the biggest selling hard rock album and the highest selling album recorded by an Australian group. (Thanks to Wikipedia.org.)

First of all here's the full CD for "Back In Black", fire up your lighters!



Thanks to Wikipedia for the following list. This is the PMRC's list of the so-called Filthy Fifteen. From "Back In Black" at #6 is "Let Me Put My Love Into You". The PMRC was a bunch of overly worried mothers with way too much time on their hands. They were angry about rock lyrics and were married to very powerful men. The most famous PMRC member was probably Tipper Gore, the now ex-wife of former Presidential candidate Al Gore. They raised a ruckus, got a bunch of attention, sort of got what they wanted and faded away as quickly as they showed up.

The PMRC also released the Filthy Fifteen, a list of the 15 songs they found most objectionable:
#ArtistSong titleLyrical content
1Prince"Darling Nikki"Sex/Masturbation
2Sheena Easton"Sugar Walls"Sex
3Judas Priest"Eat Me Alive"Sex
4Vanity"Strap on Robbie Baby"Sex
5Mötley Crüe"Bastard"Violence/Language
6AC/DC"Let Me Put My Love into You"Sex
7Twisted Sister"We're Not Gonna Take It"Violence
8Madonna"Dress You Up"Sex
9W.A.S.P."Animal (Fuck Like a Beast)"Sex/Language
10Def Leppard"High 'n' Dry (Saturday Night)"Drug and alcohol use
11Mercyful Fate"Into the Coven"Occult
12Black Sabbath"Trashed"Drug and alcohol use
13Mary Jane Girls"In My House"Sex
14Venom"Possessed"Occult
15Cyndi Lauper"She Bop"Sex/Masturbation
Now on to one of the greatest CDs of all-time.

The first real rock concert I went to was on AC/DC's "For Those About To Rock" tour. I was such a newbie to concerts that the opening band played and I thought the concert was over. Thankfully I was with someone who knew what they were doing. Awhile later we knew that AC/DC was about to start their set when we heard the first gong of the bell, which of course is the beginning for "Hells Bells".  Of course the concert also featured an Angus Young solo, he wearing the school boy outfit and him mooning the audience. Also cannons shot off several times during the concert. Although that was one of the first concerts I ever went to, it's still one of my all-time favorite concerts.

Unlike the PMRC, my Mom realized that rock and roll wasn't going to destroy me. Not only did rock and roll not destroy me, but it has helped me maintain my sanity. I found out I was going to the concert when she came home with two tickets for me. That's one of the coolest surprises I've ever received. I was a AC/DC fan before the concert, but the concert certified me as a lifelong fan. I had the "For Those About To Rock" tour poster on my bedroom for many years afterwards.

About 1991 I saw them again, I can't remember the tour they were supporting. That concert wasn't as good as their prior concert I attended. And sadly that concert is most memorable for 3 fans dying, they were crushed near the front of the stage. Not many audience members knew that until the next day.

I don't want to give Bon Scott less than 100% respect on my blog, this is probably one of his final concerts with AC/DC. R.I.P. Bon. From 1979:



From 1981 live in Landover, Maryland. Sorry the sound quality isn't the best.



This is a concert of AC/DC at Rock In Rio in 1985:



AC/DC released "Back In Black" on July 25th, 1980. At the time the members of the band were Johnson, Angus and Malcom Young, Cliff Williams and Phil Rudd on the drums. This CD is full of such classic AC/DC songs as "Hells Bells", "You Shook Me All Night Long", "Shoot To Thrill", "Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution" and of course the title song.

Just a note most of the songs on this CD are about sex. File that under the most obvious things ever category. In fact rock and roll, which is simply slang for sex, is usually about sex. Although AC/DC has a lot of songs about sex, they wrap it in metaphors. They are rarely explicit, I can't even think of a time they use the f bomb on any of their songs.

1. "Hells Bells" (I'd forgotten that this song was on this CD.) :



This is live, but the sound isn't very good. This is what I was talking about above.



Here's "Hells Bells" with a lot better audio:



2. "Shoot To Thrill" (The "Iron Man 2" version):



"Shoot To Thrill" for those of you who might find Iron Man annoying:



3. "What Do You Do For Money Honey":



4. "Givin The Dog A Bone":



5. "Let Me Put My Love Into You: (The PMRC's sixth favorite song):



6. "Back In Black" (Obviously this is a great song.) :



"Back In Black" (Live):



7. "You Shook Me All Night Long" (I love everything about this song. I love the lyrics, the feeling and of course it rocks.) :



"You Shook Me All Night Long" (live):



Another live version of "You Shook Me All Night Long":



8. "Have A Drink On Me":



9. "Shake A Leg":



10. "Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution":



"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution" (Live):



themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites