Friday, December 13, 2013

themusicaddict's Feeling Disco Fever In 2013: Donna Summer, The Bee Gees and Others

Hello,

I was checking out various things on the internet yesterday when I stumbled across the music of Andy Gibb. Thanks to my friends at Spotify I listened to Andy Gibb's Greatest Hits, I'd forgotten how many great songs he recorded. That of course lead me to the Bee Gees, whose music is absolutely amazing. Their main style of music was disco of course, but they also incorporated funk, rock and pop that helps take their music to the next level. This morning I listened to the Bee Gees triumphant "One Night Only" which lead me to the Queen of Disco, Miss Donna Summer.

I'm thinking about writing a greatest CD of all-time blog for Summer's "Bad Girls" CD, but I'm going to have to listen to it a couple of times before I can decide if it's worthy of that designation. But I wanted to write a blog today while I'm considering that potential "Bad Girls" blog.

Thus here's a collection of some of my favorite Disco songs of all-time. I do remember the Disco Sucks movement at the end of the 70s, but I never understood that. Sure there was some ridiculous elements in Disco, just like there is in all sorts of music. But there are also a lot of damn fine Disco songs. A sign of a good song is that it still sounds good years later. The music of Donna Summer, the Bee Gees and others still sound amazing. (I know this is a blasphemous thought but do I hear a bit of disco in Pink Floyd's "The Wall"? It was conceived during the Disco craze.)

Here's over 3 hours of classic disco, if I were to create a video I would only include a few songs from this video. That being said this is still a very representative sample of classic disco music. Thanks to ti2SSO for creating this compilation for all to enjoy.



I don't know if this is the ultimate Disco song, but if it isn't it's pretty darn close. Everything about this song is great. The Kings of Disco, the Bee Gees and "Stayin' Alive":



The Bee Gees had many other great songs, "Jive Talkin", "Nights On Broadway", "More Than A Woman", "Too Much Heaven" etc. Those are all great songs, but one of my favorite of their songs is "Tragedy":



Let's do a couple from the Queen of Disco, Miss Donna Summer. She has so many great songs to pick from though. One of my favorites of Ms. Summers songs is "McArthur Park". This is the 6:26 version, if this isn't long enough for you, Youtube has a 17:53 minute version available as well. Remember not to leave the cake out in the rain. Damn this is a great song:



"Last Dance":



I'd be remiss if I didn't include "Dim All The Lights":



Is it just my perception or did Disco have the most one hit wonders of any genre? Here's some of my favorite Disco one or two hit wonders. First up is Hot Chocolate's "You Sexy Thing", I love Errol Brown's vocal on this song:



I love the funk in Hot Chocolate's "Every 1's A Winner":



This can't be considered a true Disco blog unless I add Gloria Gaynor's "I Will Survive":



Sister Sledge "We Are Family":



Anita Ward's "Ring My Bell":



Lipps Inc. "Funky Town":



Shannon's "Let The Music Play":



Alicia 's "I Love The Nightlife":



Wild Cherry's "Play That Funky Music":



And how can we forget The Village People? They had a few hits. I know this isn't one of their most well-known songs, but "Go West" is also a great song:



Who hasn't done the "YMCA" dance in their life?:



And of course we can't forget the incredible "Earth, Wind and Fire". Seriously if this song doesn't make you want to get up and dance, then you are dead. This is the funkalicious "September":



"Let's Groove":



The S.O.S. Band's "Take Your Time (Do It Right)":



File these bands under bands that weren't disco bands per se, but spent time in the disco realm.

The Commodores weren't considered a Disco band, they were more of a R&B/Soul band. However they did have the discolicious "Brick House", it's a shame this song isn't longer. "What a winning hand":



My favorite band growing up was Blondie, this is their disco classic "Heart Of Glass":



Diana Ross "I'm Coming Out":



"Upside Down":



themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites