Friday, August 15, 2014

The Momumentour Invades Orem, Utah, Has The UCCU Center Never Hosted A Concert Before?

Hello,

On Wednesday, August 13th, 2014 my daughter and I went to the Momentour in Orem, Utah. The concert was at the UCCU center, a place I've never seen a concert before. Today's blog is going to be about how the UCCU Center has a lot of things to work on to be a better host. I'll also write about opening act New Politics. First of all I'd like to thank setlist.fm for helping me to fill in many of the blanks on the set lists. Upcoming blogs: probably sometime this weekend I'll publish my review of Fall Out Boy. Although they were the headliner, they shouldn't have been. Sometime about Monday I'll be posting my review of Paramore's portion of the concert. Not only should they have been the headliner, but by far the best band of the night.

Now on to the worthiness of the UCCU Center ever hosting a concert again, I hope they don't unless they fix several things. The two hour round trip to get there is one of the least of my concerns. Doors were suppose to open at 6:00, we were there and in line about 6:30. I thought we'd get in a bit before the show and hang out a bit. Maybe check out the merchandise, but no we had to wait in a long line. We didn't get into the venue until a bit after 7:00. The line stretched out a lot more by the time it started moving. That was one of the many times I thought to myself have they never hosted a concert before?

We got in finally and located our seats quick enough. However the building was a sauna throughout the entire show. It was such a relief to get outside in the cool air once the concert ended. I only saw two concession stands open, although they had other concession stands that weren't open. Both concessions stands had long lines. They did have drinking fountains thankfully, again though not enough. The UCCU center also had vending machines, but for some reason they were turned off. Huh? We had to stop on the way home and get something to drink. I was so thirsty I couldn't wait for FOB to end their show. I wasn't going to leave the concert early.

After the concert the sprinklers were on and it took forever to get out of the parking lot. Again had they never hosted a concert before?

Good things about a concert at the UCCU Center, very close to the freeway! The sound started out sludgy for about New Politics' first 4 songs, but once they figured it out the sound was amazing. I give them a pass for the sludgy sound, they obviously got it figured out. The rest of the night the sound was punchy and great. Truly that made the concert better.

I didn't have a watch so all times mentioned are estimates, New Politics took the stage about 7:15. The band is made up of David Boyd, vocals and dancing, Soren Hansen, guitars and Louis Vecchio on drums and percussion.

I can't guarantee this set list is 100% correct yet, waiting on setlist.fm to publish:

1) "Give Me Hope"
2) "Dignity"
3) "Fall Into These Arms" While waiting for "technical difficulties" to be resolved:



Once the technical difficulties were resolved, the band played "Fall Into These Arms" from the beginning.

4) "Just Like Me"
5) "Tonight You're Perfect": (Just about 35 seconds):


6?) Somewhere in here they also did a cover of Panic At The Disco's "Miss Jackson",  a song I'm not familiar with:


7) "Harlem"
8) "Yeah Yeah Yeah"

Sadly New Politics didn't sing my favorite song of theirs, "Goodbye Copenhagen" (I so wanted to sing the line "I feel like breaking out" with them.):



Overall New Politics was good, they have a lot of great songs. Although they only played about a half-hour they had a bit too much filler in their show. It makes me wonder what they are going to do when they return to Salt Lake to headline their own show in November. But overall I'd give them a B. However like the other two bands on the bill, they'd do better if they expanded their sound.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites