Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Robin WIlliams: An Appreciation

Hello,

I have no inside knowledge about depression in general or Williams condition specifically, I certainly don't claim to be an expert. This blog is more about my appreciation for all the humor and entertainment Williams brought to me personally. It's my hope that such a huge loss won't be for naught, hopefully those who need the help will be brave enough to reach out their hand. Please let's not ignore the extended hand. My best wishes to his family and friends.

Usually when a celebrity dies, it's not that big of deal to me. It's not like I knew them, was dependent on them in any way etc. But for some reason with Robin Williams dying on Monday, it's a much bigger deal to me. Especially since he committed suicide by hanging himself. That would be such a rough way to go, which shows how much his depression had sunk his claws into him. The reason why he killed himself is incredibly sad to me, depression can't be categorized. It's awful in every way possible. To me the brutal irony is a man that had brought so much entertainment and humor to the world couldn't find a good enough reason to continue living. Robin, I hope you find the peace you so desperately craved. R.I.P. and thanks for all the great memories.

I was so moved by the death that I felt this strong urge to watch a Robin Williams movie, preferring to see one of his movies I haven't ever seen. Eventually the two choices were "The Best of Times" and "Man of the Year". I went with "The Best of Times", honestly it's only a so so movie. Williams normal manic zaniness isn't on display in this movie. In fact in "The Best of Times", he's very much a character actor. He also has no business in a football uniform, but overall we emphasize with his every man character.

My top 5 Williams movies:

1) "The Fisher King", Terry Gilliam's masterpiece.
2) "Dead Poet's Society", an incredible movie about someone that colors outside of the lines and the benefits his students get out of that.
3) "Good Will Hunting", an acting Tour de Force by Williams. His therapist role is a master class in acting. Williams is very vulnerable and at his best.
4) "Awakenings", great acting by both Williams and Robert DeNiro.
5) "Good Morning Vietnam"- both the vulnerable and manic Williams all in one character.

I wanted to put together some clips that catches some of Williams highlights in honor to how great of an entertainer he was.

"Good Morning Vietnam":



"Patch Adams":



In light of what happened this year with both Williams and Phillip Seymour Hoffman, this scene takes on additional sadness:


The Robin Williams many of us think of first:


"The Fisher King", The Red Knight:




"Dead Poet's Society":






"Good Will Hunting", a powerhouse performance by both Williams and Matt Damon (explicit language):



Again very explicit, but worth it:


"Awakenings":



Robin Williams accepting a Golden Globe:



When I think of Robin Williams first I usually think of his funny, manic performances that usually made me laugh. Although I missed a lot of his rapid fire jokes, as in the video above. While working on this blog, I found myself drawn to his more dramatic scenes. That end scene of "Dead Poet's Society" is amazing, now that's the way to end a movie.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites