Sunday, August 17, 2014

The Monumenutour August 13th, 2014 at UCCU Center in Orem, Utah Review of Fall Out Boy's Performance

Hello,

The three acts that are touring together in the Monumentour are New Politics, Paramore and Fall Out Boy. I wrote about New Politics' set in my previous blog. Today I'll be writing about Fall Out Boy, who is the headliner. Then in the next couple of days I'll be writing about Paramore, although they performed second on the night, by far they were the best band on the night.

After Paramore played, my daughter turned to me and said she felt bad for Fall Out Boy as they would have to live up to Paramore's set. I didn't think they'd be able to and they didn't even come close. One of Fall Out Boy's biggest problems is that so many of their songs sound alike. Sadly a fate shared by New Politics and Paramore to a lesser degree. This becomes really noticeable when the songs are played back to back to back. Their most recent CD "Save Rock and Roll" is by far their best CD, I'd hate to have seen this band without those songs in their arsenal.

I attended the concert, but I'm not terribly familiar with all of Fall Out Boy's songs, honestly I wouldn't have gone to see them without Paramore being there. Thanks to setlist.fm for helping to fill in the blanks.

Fall Out Boy is made up of singer and guitarist Patrick Stump, whose guitar seems to serve the same purpose as Linus's blanket. But he's got a great voice and sounds great live. The most famous member of the band is bassist Pete Wentz. Since he's the best known, for the longest time I thought he was also the lead singer. Joe Trohman plays guitars and provides backing vocals. In charge of the durms and percussion is Andy Hurley.

Fall Out Boy took the stage about 10:00 and started with a spoken word introduction, which lead into

1) "The Phoenix", one of the best songs off their current CD, "Save Rock and Roll". (Although you can't tell from the video, the sound was great on this night.)


2) "The Take Over, The Breaks Over", one of the first of many nearly indistinguishable Fall Out Boy songs.
3) "A Little Less Sixteen Candles, A Little More "Touch Me"" see above
4) "This Ain't A Scene, It's An Arms Race" This song stands out a bit, but that's mostly due to it's profane chorus.
5) "Alone Together", one of their songs that's closer to being a ballad.
6) "Death Valley"
7) "Sugar, We're Going Down"
8) "Miss Missing You"

Three drummers came on stage and played together. A spoken word track played over saying them saying "rhythm section". It was their way to sneak Pete Wentz and another guitarist back to the area where they control the lights etc on stage. Wentz introduced:

9) "Dance, Dance", another one of the few stand out FOB songs.
10) "Young Volcanoes" I could swear they played this song, but it's not listed on set lists from around the same time. Again I don't know their music well enough to know for sure as many of their songs sound the same to me.

11) "Just One Yesterday" (with Lolo)
12) "Grand Theft Autumn/ Where Is Your Boy"
13) "We Are The Champions" A song dedicated to the parents who brought their kids to the concert. This was a nice break from the sameness of their songs.


14) "Save Rock and Roll", although the name of the current album they are touring behind, this is probably the worst song on the CD.
15) "I Don't Care"- yet another sound alike song
16) "My Songs Know What You Did"- probably Fall Out Boy's highlight of the night:



Encore

17) "Thanks fr the Mmrs"
18) "Saturday"- wow they really picked this sound alike song as their final song of the night? This was completely indistinguishable from so many other Fall Out Boy songs they played on the night.

I wished they would have played "Where Did The Party Go?".

As you can tell I wasn't real impressed. They are fine musicians and Patrick Stump can definitely sing. I loved the close ups of their main drummer. He's the ultimate Mr. Cool, it seemed nothing was going to bother him. But for a band that's big enough to headline a 3 act concert tour, it's surprising how few great songs they have. Pete Wentz's fortune cookies slogans got a little tiresome. My daughter noted that Stump hardly spoke. I would give them a C.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites