Thursday, October 23, 2014

Best of the Rest: 1984's Greatest Hits Highlights, Part 2: Hair Metal & Rock, Random Songs + Billy Idol's New Song

Hello,

Billy Idol recently released a new CD, titled "The Kings and Queen of The Underground". Billy mentions the year 1984, "Rebel Yell" and some of his other hits. He also mentions Ace, which I'm guessing he means Kiss guitarist Ace Frehley. (Warning, Billy drops the F bomb in this song.)


I know you're probably sick of the songs from 1984- just like I'm sick of hearing Hozier's "Take Me To Church" about once a hour on X96- but somehow I missed a few songs. Thanks to Billboard and multiple Rdio playlists of songs from 1984 I discovered a few songs that fell through the cracks. A special thanks to Brett Finley Rdio's playlist of (Hot 100+) Top Hits of 1984. This is Part 2 of 2 blogs collecting these missing gems.

Yes, some of the below songs would have made my Top 100 songs from 1984 if I had found them before.

Just like I'm a sucker for a great ballad, I'm also a sucker for the great heavy metal/ hair metal (whatever you want to call it) songs of the 80s. Here are a few:

Ratt's "Lack Of Communication":


Quiet Riot's "Mama Weer All Crazee Now":


Motley Crue's "Too Young To Fall In Love": This is such a great song, Nikki Sixx knows how to write a great song!


Billy Squier's "Rock Me Tonite": Great song, terrible video. This is the most felonious case of white boy dancing I've ever seen, but its we the viewers that are punished! (said tongue in cheek)


Robert Plant's "In The Mood":



Here are the random songs:

Pat Benatar's "We Belong":


Kool and the Gang's "Tonight":


Lindsey Buckingham "Go Insane":


Yes' "Leave It":


Survivor's "High On You": One of the most unappreciated bands of the 80s, this is just one of their many great songs. My favorite Survivor song definitely is "The Search Is Over".


Hall and Oates "Say It Isn't So":


The Pointer Sisters "I'm So Excited": How did this song not make Rolling Stone's songs of 1984 and how did I miss it? Just a great song.


Kenny Loggins "I'm Free (Heaven Helps The Man)":


themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites