Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Best of the Rest: 1984's Greatest Hits Highlights, Part 1: The Ballads, New Wave & Rick Springfield

Hello,

I know you're probably sick of the songs from 1984- just like I'm sick of hearing Hozier's "Take Me To Church" about once a hour on X96- but somehow I missed a few songs. Thanks to Billboard and multiple Rdio playlists of songs from 1984 I discovered a few songs that fell through the cracks. A special thanks to Brett Finley Rdio's playlist of (Hot 100+) Top Hits of 1984. This is Part 1 of 2 blogs collecting these missing gems. Part 2 should be coming Thursday.

Yes, some of the below songs would have made my Top 100 songs from 1984 if I had found them before.

I'm not going to lie I'm a sucker for a cheesy and sappy 80's ballad, here are a few:

The Scorpions "Still Loving You":


Madonna's "Love Don't Live Here Anymore":


The Honeydrippers "Sea of Love":


Elton John's "Sad Songs (Say So Much)":


Lee Greenwood's "God Bless The USA": This song has appeared on my blog several times over the years and it still gets me every time. Indeed God Bless The USA!


Steve Perry's "Foolish Heart":


Chicago's "You're The Inspiration":


Alphaville's "Forever Young": "Are you going to drop the bomb or not?"


Billy Joel's "An Innocent Man":


Rick Springfield's "Bop 'Til You Drop":


Rick Springfield's "Don't Walk Away":



1984 had great years for both New Wave and Heavy Metal, many of those classics have been on my previous 1984 blogs. On this specific blog I'll focus on the new wave classics that slipped through the cracks. Next blog I'll focus on the Heavy Metal and also random songs of 1984 that slipped through the cracks. Have I said it already, but 1984 was such a great year for music.

Adam Ant's "Strip":


The Romantics "One In A Million":


The Fixx "Are We Ourselves":


ABC's "How To Be A Millionaire": I know the video says "1985?", but the song was released on October 26th, 1984- almost exactly 30 years ago.


themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites