Friday, October 17, 2014

themusicaddict's Top 100 Songs of 1984, Part 9, #'s 19-11

Hello,

As I mentioned previously, my thanks to Rolling Stone magazine and bobborst.com for inspiring this list. Rolling Stone released their list on September 17th, 2014, I took their list and created my own list. Nineteen songs from Rolling Stone's list didn't make it on my personal Top 100, those 19 songs are mentioned in the first blog in this series of blogs. Thanks to the bobborst.com website for reminding me about the rest of these songs. That is except for Julie Brown's "Homecoming Queen's Got A Gun". I thought it came out in 1984 and I Googled it and sure enough it did. The number/letters in parenthesis indicate where the song ranks on Rolling Stone's Top 100 list. NR = not rated

19) Animotion's "Obsession": (62)


18) John Cafferty and the Beaver Brown Band: (NR) from the movie "Eddie and the Cruisers":


17) Night Ranger's "Sister Christian": (34) This is still such a great song 30 years after it's release. I am surprised this video only has a tidge over 5 million views.


16) The Time's "Jungle Love" (29) Part of the mid 80's Minneapolis groove machine that included Sheila E and of course Prince.


15) George Michael's "Careless Whisper" (24) That amazing sax solo!


14) Shannon's "Let The Music Play" (NR) I love the nasty funk of this song.


13) Chicago's "Hard Habit To Break" As I work on these blogs and listen to all these great songs, I can't help but think, again, what a great year for music.


12) Dead or Alive's "You Spin Me Round" (98) This song is the second biggest upward move from Rolling Stone's Top 100 1984 songs. This is a quintessential 80's song. Before making this list, if someone had asked me where would I place this song I probably would have said at #1. Too bad that amazing hook has been stolen sampled for much inferior songs.


11) Steve Perry's "Oh Sherrie" (89)- The lead singer of Journey branching out on his own. Journey and Steve Perry were never quite the same. Although the CD this song is taken off, "Street Talk" is a very good CD.


So many of these songs I  looked at where they are on my list and I thought to myself that song isn't higher? What the heck? Again 1984 was such a great year for music. Up next, saving the best for last, the top ten.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites