Wednesday, October 15, 2014

themusicaddict's Top 100 Songs of 1984, Part 8 #'s 29-20

Hello,

As I mentioned previously, my thanks to Rolling Stone magazine and bobborst.com for inspiring this list. Rolling Stone released their list on September 17th, 2014, I took their list and created my own list. Nineteen songs from Rolling Stone's list didn't make it on my personal Top 100, those 19 songs are mentioned in the first blog in this series of blogs. Thanks to the bobborst.com website for reminding me about the rest of these songs. That is except for Julie Brown's "Homecoming Queen's Got A Gun". I thought it came out in 1984 and I Googled it and sure enough it did. The number/letters in parenthesis indicate where the song ranks on Rolling Stone's Top 100 list. NR = not rated

29) Wham's "Wake Me Up Before You Go Go" (50) Both Wham/ George Michael and INXS are the masters of getting the most out of the saxophone in their songs. A great example below, but nothing tops the mournful sax solo on "Careless Whisper".


28) Don Henley "Boys of Summer": (7) What a great year for music when this song is my only 28th song. I know I've written that before, but 1984 truly was a great year for music.


27) Madonna's "Borderline" (2) I guess it won't come as a surprise I had a massive crush on Madonna back in the 80s and it was a torch I carried for many years.


26) Bruce Springsteen's "Born In The USA" (9) The Boss recently celebrated his 65th birthday.


25) Madonna's "Holiday" (25) Can a video look more DIY? It looks like it was filmed in somebody's basement. However the inexpensive video can't detract from yet another great Madonna song.


24) Madonna's "Lucky Star" (24) Three Madonna songs on this one blog and there's still one more Madonna song on the way.


23) Hall and Oates "Adult Education" (NR) Probably not one of the first songs someone thinks of when they think of 80's music. But Hall and Oates have been wrongly forgotten. They wrote some of the best and most fun songs of the 80s.


22) Kenny Loggins "Footloose" (NR) First of all is there a more joyous song ever recorded? Second of all how did this song not make Rolling Stone's Top 100 songs from 1984?


21) General Public's "Tenderness" (76) "Where is the tenderness?"


20) Ray Parker Jr.'s "Ghostbusters" (69) This video is a who's who of entertainment stars in 1984.


themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites