Monday, October 20, 2014

themusicaddict's Top 100 Songs of 1984, Part 10: The Top Ten

Hello,

As I mentioned previously, my thanks to Rolling Stone magazine and bobborst.com for inspiring this list. Rolling Stone released their list on September 17th, 2014, I took their list and created my own list. Nineteen songs from Rolling Stone's list didn't make it on my personal Top 100, those 19 songs are mentioned in the first blog in this series of blogs. Thanks to the bobborst.com website for reminding me about the rest of these songs. That is except for Julie Brown's "Homecoming Queen's Got A Gun". I thought it came out in 1984 and I Googled it and sure enough it did. The number/letters in parenthesis indicate where the song ranks on Rolling Stone's Top 100 list. NR = not rated

themusicaddict's Top Ten songs of 1984:

10) Deneice Williams "Let's Hear It For the Boy": (39) This is from one of my favorite 80's movies and soundtracks, "Footloose".


9) Scandal/ Patty Smyth's "The Warrior": (99) This song has the biggest upward move from Rolling Stone's Top 100 songs of 1984, 90 spots.


8) U2's "Pride": (12)


7) Bananarama's "Cruel Summer": (41) I love this song so much.


6) Madonna's "Like A Virgin" (67)


5) Cyndi Lauper's "Girls Just Want To Have Fun" (NR) Quite likely upcoming a topic for my greatest CDs of all-time blog series.


4) Phil Collins' "Against All Odds (Take A Look At Me Now)" (NR) One of the all-time best ballads. This is my highest rated song that didn't make the Rolling Stone list.

How can I just let you walk away, just let you leave without a trace
When I stand here taking every breath with you, ooh
You're the only one who really knew me at all (Thanks to azlyrics.com)



For those that might be mixing up the above song with another similarly themed Phil Collins song. In 1985 Phil Collins and Marilyn Martin's "Separate Lives" was released.


3) Tina Turner's "What's Love Got To Do With It": (11) The CD this came from, "Private Dancer", is one of my all-time greatest CDs. I blogged about it on January 2nd, 2014


2) Prince's "Let's Go Crazy" (4) From the amazing opening "Dearly beloved, we are gathered here to get through this thing called life." Here's a bastardized live version of this song recorded this year with 3rdEyeGirl.



1) Prince's "When Doves Cry" (1) I believe this is the only selection I agree with Rolling Stone on, I'm glad to see that they got at least one selection right :) In his infinite wisdom, Prince blocks most of his music being on YouTube.

Cris Vara's version, a pretty faithful version. Cris even sounds a bit like Prince.:


themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites