Monday, October 13, 2014

themusicaddict's Top 100 Songs of 1984, Part 7 #'s 37-30

Hello,

As I mentioned previously, my thanks to Rolling Stone magazine and bobborst.com for inspiring this list. Rolling Stone released their list on September 17th, 2014, I took their list and created my own list. Nineteen songs from Rolling Stone's list didn't make it on my personal Top 100, those 19 songs are mentioned in the first blog in this series of blogs. Thanks to the bobborst.com website for reminding me about the rest of these songs. That is except for Julie Brown's "Homecoming Queen's Got A Gun". I thought it came out in 1984 and I Googled it and sure enough it did. The number/letters in parenthesis indicate where the song ranks on Rolling Stone's Top 100 list. NR = not rated

37) Prince's "Purple Rain" (8) From one of the greatest CDs of all-time and probably the greatest soundtrack comes the title song "Purple Rain". Prince's "Batman" soundtrack is also pretty amazing. Prince seems to be afraid of youtube when fans can use it to find his classic songs, but when its suits his own purposes he's no longer afraid of youtube.

The best I could do is this Tom Jones and David Gilmour cover:


36) Cyndi Lauper's "Time After Time" (6) which comes from Lauper's amazing debut CD "She's So Unusual". This CD is full of classics, along with "Time After Time", it includes "She Bop" (#49 on my list), "Girls Just Want To Have Fun (upcoming on this list), "Money Changes Everything" and "All Through The Night". 


35) Chaka Kahn's "I Feel For You" (3) , yet another classic song written by Prince.


34) Rockwell's "Somebody's Watching Me" (25) (yes, that's Michael Jackson singing background vocals) 


33) Sade's "Smooth Operator": (17)


32) Peter Schilling's "Major Tom" (NR)


31) The Cars's "Magic" (NR):



30) The Thompson Twins' "Doctor Doctor" (NR)


themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites