Monday, October 19, 2015

themusicaddict Reviews: Music: Jess Glynne, Halsey, Scorpions and Many Others, October 19th, 2015 (Finished October 24th, 2015)

Hello,

There have been so many great CDs released the last few weeks, it's hard to keep up with them. What a great "problem" to have. Women new to the music scene are really representing themselves very well. Great new CDs by Jess Glynne (non-profane division) and Halsey (profane division) have just been released. But there are many other great CDs being released, for instance the latest CD by The Scorpions and the soundtrack to the "Hamilton" Broadway Original Cast Recording. This blog is very much a work in progress, although you might get a sense of how I feel about the four CDs I've mentioned to this point.

1) Jess Glynne's "I Cry When I Laugh": I just discovered this recently and I'm absolutely in love with it. Thanks EW for bringing this to my attention. Thanks for appropriate lyrics for all ages Jess. Among many great songs on this CD, some of the best songs include "Gave Me Something", "Hold My Hand", "No Rights No Wrongs" and "You Can Find Me". Grade: A

2) Halsey's "Badlands" (Deluxe) She out-Lorde's Lorde. This is a much deeper CD than Lorde's "Pure Heroine". Although I love both of their respective arrangements of classic songs. I love what Lorde has done to Tears For Fears "Everybody Wants To Rule The World". Seriously can we all just admit that 80's music is the best and will never be topped? I love Halsey's take on the man, Johnny Cash's, version of "I Walk The Line". Other great songs include the stunning "Saddest Vanilla", "Castle", "Colors" and "Gasoline". As with the above CD, this is just a great, great CD. I also listened to it a couple more times and there are only a couple of songs with bad language on it. Grade: A+

3) The "Hamilton" Original Broadway Cast Recording: I've been listening to this in my car the last couple of days. It's very, very good. Singing some of the same refrains repeatedly gets tiresome after awhile, but that's typical of most Broadway plays. I love that this humanizes Alexander Hamilton and makes him a real person, rather than just a person of history. Overall a solid CD. Grade: B

4) The Scorpions' "Return To Forever": This CD is highlighted by the songs "We Built This House", "Rock My Car" and "Rock 'n' Roll Band". It has too many songs though, many of those songs are just filler. A leaner CD would have been better.  Grade for now: C

5) The Offspring's "Americana": Yes, I know this is an old CD, but I'm just getting around to listening to it now. This is a pretty solid CD, highlighted by three very good songs "Why Don't You Get A Job", Pretty Fly (For A White Guy)" and "The Kids Aren't Alright". Grade: C+

6) Pop Evil's "Up" (Deluxe): Pop Evil is one of those bands that I should be much bigger than they actually are. "Footsteps", "Take It All" and "Ghost of Muskegon" are the best songs on this CD. But mostly a lot of average songs. Grade for now: C.

7) Prince "HITNRUN (Phase One)": Since it's only on Tidal, I don't have the ability to review it. Thanks I'll stay with Rdio, rather than an overpriced, over hyped digital music website. Grade: Incomplete

8) Katherine McPhee's "Hysteria": Let's get the obvious out of the way, Miss McPhee is absolutely gorgeous. That never hurts when it comes to getting your music out. The first half is stronger than the second half of the CD. Grade: C

9) Pentatonix (Deluxe) A cappella music can be great. When it's well done, then it's just good as any other music. However for me a capella can get old pretty quickly. But I'm definitely digging "Na Na Na", "Cracked", "First Things First", "Cheerleader" and "Sing". This CD has many great songs, but it also has some clunkers. I need to listen to it a bit more before assigning my final grade. Grade: B-

10) Borns' "Dopamine": Starts out strong, but the songs are too same sounding to be an amazing CD. Grade: C

11) Chris Cornell's "Higher Truth": I didn't expect much and sadly it delivered. I still love Cornell's voice, it has taken on a world weary tone. Grade: C

12) The Zombies "Still Got That Hunger": Some things are just best left in the past. Grade: D

13) Carrie Underwood's "Storyteller" Just listening to this for the first time today, the first 3 songs are outstanding. Highlights include "Renegade Runaway", "Dirty Laundry", "Church Bells", and "Choctaw County Affair". Grade: B+

14) Daya's "Daya" (A tip of my hat to my brother for bringing this to my attention.): This six song ep is solid. I think six songs was a good place to stop, as this CD is split between 3 great songs and 3 not so great songs. Those three great songs are "Thirsty", "Sit Still, Look Pretty" and "Hide Away". Grade: B-, but I have a feeling the grade would have dropped as more less than great songs were added.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites