Thursday, October 29, 2015

Top Fifteen Madonna Songs According to a Rolling Stone Special Collectors Issue + The Beginning of My Personal Top 40 Madonna

Hello,

There's a reason 1% of the songs on my iPod and that 208 songs on my iTunes are by Madonna. It's because her music is timeless- many of these songs sound as good now as when they were originally released.

1) "Like A Prayer"
2) "Into The Groove"
3) "Vogue"
4) "Borderline"
5) "Like A Virgin" No argument with the Top 5 songs on this list.
6) "Hung Up"- Um, no. A decent song, but not one of her best songs. Especially at #6.
7) "Live To Tell": One of my favorite ballads of all-time.
8) "Ray of Light"
9) "Music"
10) "Burning Up"
11) "Crazy For You"
12) "Express Yourself"
13) "Material Girl":
14) "Promise To Try":
15) "Dress You Up" Songs 8 to 15 are all solid, although I know all of them wouldn't be in my Top 15.

Before I start, here are the songs that made Rolling Stone's Top 20 Madonna songs that didn't make my list. Number in parenthesis is where the song is on Rolling Stone's list. "Hung Up" (6), "Ray of Light" (8), "Promise To Try" (14), "Justify My Love" (17) and "What It Feels Like For A Girl" (19). Honorable mention songs: "Don't Tell Me" and "Frozen".

Now it's time for Madonna's 40 truly greatest songs. I pondered this for a few hours and probably will continue working on the list as I write this blog. I've decided that I'm going to countdown Madonna's Top 40 songs. That list started at 15 songs and then I continued thinking of more and more great Madonna songs. I know that I will forget songs and all other sorts of foolishness, but oh well. Forty songs is too many to fit on one blog, so this will spread over two or three blogs. As always the order of songs is subject to change.

40) I don't have a song yet, but I know eventually there will be a song that presents itself. I just knew a song would introduce itself and it did. "Incredible":



39) "White Heat" (NR):



Madonna is equally adept at the great pop song as well as beautiful ballads. (38) "Something To Remember" (NR):



37) "Thief of Hearts" (NR):



36) "Erotica" (NR):


However tomorrow night I'll be going to the Shinedown/ Breaking Benjamin/ Nothing More concert- a review will be coming for that soon.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites