Tuesday, January 5, 2016

themusicaddict's Almost, So Close, But Not Quite Greatest CD of All-Time: R.E.M.'s Document" (FInished 1/28/16)

Hello,

I'm an unabashed R.E.M. fan, I have 214 R.E.M. songs on my iTunes, including multiple versions of the same song. Live versions, lengthy club mixes, alternate versions and extended versions. I have 11 of their 15 original CDs on my iTunes, heck I even have "Collapse Into Now". I was only see R.E.M. in concert once and they were amazing, I wish I would have been able to see them more than once though. After reviewing all 15 of their CDs for the purposes of this blog I decided to document their 1987 CD "Document". I also want to write about one of the following CDs, "Green", "Out Of Time", "Automatic For The People" or "Monster" at a later time. For the purposes of this blog I'm writing about the 1993 IRS Vintage reissue version. (As always thanks to Wikipedia for the biographical information, all opinions are mine. Feel free to e-mail if you would like to discuss.)

"Document" is R.E.M.'s fifth CD, their last CD of new material for I.R.S. Records. Their next CD "Green" was their first CD with a major label. The CD was produced by Scott Litt and the band members. R.E.M. consisted of singer Michael Stipe,  drummer Bill Berry, bassist Mike Mills and guitarist Peter Buck.

Previous to this CD R.E.M. was knocking out a CD a year- do you remember when bands used to do that? Another great thing about the early to mid 80's. R.E.M.'s first 4 CDs were "Murmur" (1983), "Reckoning" (1984), "Fables of the Reconstruction" (1985) and "Life's Rich Pagaent" (1986). R.E.M. eventually became fairly big on the college music circuit and slowly expanded their influence and popularity. Their steady growth were powered by music that was maturing. Highlights from R.E.M.'s first 4 CDs include "Radio Free Europe", "Talk About The Passion", "So. Central Rain", "Don't Go Back To Rockville (I love this song!), "Driver 8", "Can't Get There From Here" and "Fall On Me". But it's "Document" that R.E.M. really broke out in a fairly big way. That CD is powered by "The One That I Love" and "It's The End of The World (And I Feel Fine)". All that hard work set the stage for their major label debut, which came a year later.

1) "Finest Worksong":



2) Welcome to the Occupation":



3) "Exhuming McCarthy":



4) "Disturbance at the Heron House":



5) "Strange":



6) "It's The End of the World as We Know It (And I Feel Fine)":



7) "The One I Love":



8) "Fireplace":



9) "Lightnin' Hopkins":



10) "King of Birds":



11) Oddfellows Local 151":



1993 I.R.S. Vintage Years reissue bonus tracks
12) "Finest Worksong (Other Mix)":



13) "Last Date" (Instrumental):



14) "The One I Love" (Live at McCabe's Guitar Shop)":



15) "Time After Time, Etc.:



16) "Disturbance at the Heron House" (Live at McCabe's Guitar Shop): (I couldn't find that video, so this is the same song at the Shocking Club in Milan, Italy in 1991.):


"Finest Worksong (Lengthy Club Mix)":



themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites