Saturday, January 2, 2016

themusicaddict's Almost Greatest CDs Of All-Time: Phil Collins' "No Jacket Required" (Finished January 4th, 2016)

Hello,

I continue reading through "City Of Fire", a real review is on it's way. It's just a long book and I'm about 80% of the way through. I have 2 more CD review blogs to finish- CDs either new or at least new to me. Recently I read in a past issue of Rolling Stone magazine about the 64 year old Phil Collins making a comeback. I've never been a big fan of his, but I haven't been a hater either. I like a lot of his solo songs and many songs that he made with Genesis. I'd also forgotten/ never knew that he made the music for "Brother Bear". Thanks to my own iTunes, Google Music and Amazon Prime I'm taking a deep dive into his music. I wouldn't say that any of his CDs qualify a greatest CD of all-time. Although both "No Jacket Required" and "...But Seriously",  have a few good songs on them. Although my opinion may change after I do some listening.

This blog is going to be about "No Jacket Required", in case you wondered how the CD got the title:

The album is named after an incident at The Pump Room restaurant in ChicagoIllinois. Phil (entering the restaurant with former Led Zeppelin lead vocalist, Robert Plant), was denied admittance because he did not meet the restaurant's dress code of "jacket required" for dinner, while Robert was allowed in. Phil was wearing a jacket, and argued about it. The Maître d' argued that the jacket was not "proper". Collins said in an interview with Playboy that he was, at that point, never so mad in his life. After the incident, the singer often appeared on shows such as Late Night with David Letterman and The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson, denouncing the restaurant and telling his story. The management of the restaurant later sent him a complimentary sport coat and an apology letter, stating that he could come to the restaurant wearing whatever he wanted. (See full entry at and thanks again to Wikipedia.org.)

Side one
No.TitleLength
1."Sussudio"  4:23
2."Only You Know and I Know" (Lyrics: Collins, Music: Daryl Stuermer)4:20
3."Long Long Way to Go"  4:20
4."I Don't Wanna Know" (Lyrics: Collins, Music: Stuermer)4:12
5."One More Night"  4:47
Side two
No.TitleLength
6."Don't Lose My Number"  4:46
7."Who Said I Would"  4:01
8."Doesn't Anybody Stay Together Anymore" (Lyrics: Collins, Music: Collins, Stuermer)4:18
9."Inside Out"  5:14
10."Take Me Home"  5:51
Total length:
50:27
(Thanks to Wikipedia.org.)

1) "Sussudio":



2) "Only You Know and I Know":



3) "Long Long Way To Go":



4) "I Don't Want To Know":



5) "One More Night":



6) "Don't Lose My Number":



7) "Who Said I Would":



He should have left this clunker off the CD. 8) "Doesn't Anybody Stay Together Anymore":



9) "Inside Out":



10) "Take Me Home":



11) "We Said Hello Goodbye":


"No Jacket Required" was the third of Phil Collins 80's solo albums- he was also recording with Genesis and writing songs for Phillip Bailey. As a solo act Collins had an amazing 80s. He not only performed his songs, he also wrote most of his songs. Some of his great 80s song include "In The Air Tonight", "I Missed Again", the Supremes cover "You Can't Hurry Love", "I Don't Care Anymore", "Sussudio", "One More Night", "Don't Lose My Number", "Take Me Home", "Do You Remember", "Something Happened On The Way To Heaven",  "I Wish It Would Rain Down" and "Another Day".

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites