Wednesday, January 31, 2024

(Finished January 31st, 2024) The Best Songs of 1954

Hello,

Now that we have survived to 2024, I want to go back 70 years and review the best songs for every 10 years up to today. I'm starting with 1954 as I barely know enough songs to fill up a 17+ song blog. I took a brief look at 1944 and I only knew a few songs. To me the best thing that happened in 1944 was D-Day.

Each decade moving forward I know more songs from that year. I know a lot more songs from 1964 than 1954 for instance. It will probably peak with 1984, one of the greatest years of music ever.

The biggest musical stars of 1954 include Rosemary Clooney, Doris Day and Kitty Kallen. I hadn't heard of Kallen until today. The Chordettes "Mr. Sandman" seemed to be the #1 song of that year. It also is one of the most enduring songs from that year.

1) The Chordettes "Mr. Sandman":


2) The Chords "Sh-Boom (Life Could Be a Dream)":


I just saw Miss Clooney in an early episode of "E.R.", I wonder how she got that gig. I'm sure it didn't have anything to do with her nephew. 3) Rosemary Clooney "Hey There":


4) Perry Como "Papa Loves Mambo":


5) The Penguins "Earth Angel":


6) Bill Haley and His Comets "Shake, Rattle and Roll":


Elvis Presley's first single. 7) Elvis Presley "That's All Right":


8) B.B. King "You Upset Me Baby":


Come on man I grew up watching "Happy Days" so of course I know this song. 9) Bill Haley and His Comets "Rock Around The Clock":


10) Spaniels "Goodnight Sweetheart Goodnight":


11) Kitty Kallen "Little Things Mean A Lot":


12) Dean Martin "That's Amore":


13) Tony Bennett "Stranger In Paradise":


One of the greatest singers of any generation. 14) Frank Sinatra "Someone To Watch Over Me":


15) The Robins "Cellblock #9":


16) Elvis Presley "Mystery Train":


I love the Big Band musicians on this song. 17) Patti Page "What A Dream":


18) The Wrens "Come Back My Love":


19) The Mills Brothers "You're Nobody Till Somebody Loves You":


Let's close out this blog with two more songs by one of the King of the Blues. 20) Muddy Waters "Hoochie Coochie Man":


21) Muddy Waters "I'm Ready":


themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites