Friday, September 13, 2013

Questionable Fall Television 2013: The Good, The Bad and the Desperate

Hello,

I'm not going to lie to you, many of this Fall's new shows look to be terrible. With this be the worst Fall for new shows in years? From what I've seen so far I'd have to say "yes". I may write more about this further in a later blog, but here's a quick sample. Shows I'll not be watching this Fall include "Betrayal", "Hostages", "Once Upon Time In Wonderland", "Dads", "We Are Men", "The Millers" and "Super Fun Night". Most of those comedies look sad and pathetic and I don't have a lot of hope that they will actually be funny. I expect "Betrayal", "We Are Men" and "Dads" to have a good chance of being cancelled quickly.

The show that I look forward to most this fall is "Sleepy Hollow", I look forward to seeing it's season premiere Monday night. I'll warn you though that since this show is on Fox, which means there will be an inordinate amount of commercials. I strongly suggest you record this on a DVR and start watching about 20 minutes into the show. Don't worry about the Monday Night Football game, it looks to be about as exciting as "Hostages". (Fox is the irresponsible party for "The Following", a show that was as dumb as it could be. You had to throw morality, good taste and common sense out the window to enjoy that show.)

Thanks to my friends at Comcast I've already seen the premieres of two shows. One was decent and one was brutal. The brutal show was "Ironside", the remake of the Raymond Burr 70's cop show. I like Blair Underwood, but who talked him in to participating in this stupid looking show. I'm so tired of the stock cop or detective who'll do anything to find out the truth. He'll break as many laws as needed to bring a criminal to justice. Read that last sentence back and you realize how little sense that concept makes. Even the shows tagline is boring: "His Team, His Town, His Rules". Yawn. I have good news for "Ironside" though, it won't be the first show cancelled. Some other dumb show will be cancelled before "Ironside's" October 2nd premiere.

The other new fall show that I've seen is a bit better. That's "Trophy Wife" which stars the lovely Malin Ackerman. This show had a few laughs, but is a bit heavy with wives and ex-wives. Will the producers find enough time for the ex-wives in a half-hour show? Will we want them too as both of the ex-wives aren't very interesting? I'm hoping the focus will remain on Ackerman's character. "Trophy Wife" won't win any Emmys, but should be a pleasant enough diversion for those times you just want to turn your brain off. If nothing else you can always enjoy Ackerman.

Returning shows that look to continue to disappoint include "Nashville", a show that had one of the worst finales ever. When the focus was on the music "Nashville" could soar, but too many soap opera details usually pulled it down. Who was the non-genius who allowed the very dumb "Revolution" a second season? In it's first season I gave it a chance, but was driven away by it's dumb story lines and bad acting. "Revolution" should change it's name to "Devolution" and it will be eligible for a truth in advertising award.

I'm a big fan of "The Walking Dead", but let's be honest the third season finale was brutally bad. It also featured too many commercials- the greed of corporate America raising it's ugly head again. I have no idea why the Governor is coming back for Season 4. For all the hype that character received he was  damn boring. I think this season could be the beginning of the end for "The Walking Dead". Maybe not though as someone keeps on renewing the should have been dead long ago "American Idol".

Other shows I will give a chance, providing there's nothing else on TV, are "The Goldbergs", "Almost Human", "The Crazy Ones" (although I have very low expectations for that show) and the Michael J. Fox show. That last show I'm watching just because I like Fox so much, although again I don't have real high expectations.

Who knew that the summer season would be the best time for TV? This summer included the BBC America's very smart "Broadchurch", the 5th episode was a classic hour of television. "The Bridge" has been good, although I quickly become tired of all the gratuitous sex. The producers of this show are stooping to Miley Cyrus like low levels of taste. For how to be a solid show without cheapening your show "The Bridge" should look to the people behind "Broadchurch".

This summer has had solid seasons of "Rizzoli and Isles" and the always great "Longmire". I'm glad it was recently renewed for a third season. After having a solid first couple of seasons, "Falling Skies" lost a lot of quality in Season 3. I'll probably watch Season 4, but that show is about done. Lastly "Low Winter Sun" isn't the best show ever, but Frank Agnew is a great character. Although he killed a fellow cop and seems to have been played by Geddes, Agnew comes off as a great guy. I hope Agnew finds his Katia by the end of this season, because of bad ratings this likely will be the show's only season. This show's tagline is nearly perfect "Good Man. Cop. Killer".

Also there was "The Killing", this season started out strong, but ultimately fell back into it's bad habits and ended with a typically lame ending. That show and Veena Sud both need to go far away. Even "Mad Men" was disappointing in it's sixth season. Don Draper as an adulterer for the sixth straight season was boring. I loved the first 5 seasons of that show, but couldn't make it through the fifth season.

Let's hope some shows that don't look so good now break out of the pack. Otherwise 2013 could go down as one of the worst seasons ever in broadcast history.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites