Wednesday, October 9, 2013

The Fail TV Season (Thankfully "Castle" and "Blue Bloods" are still around.) (Updated October 10th, 2013)

Hello,

This Fall season continues to be terrible in terms of quality television. Perhaps we should call it the Fail Season, not Fall season, in regards to all the terrible new shows premiering.

Ironically the show that I liked the most, "Lucky 7" is the first show to be cancelled. I knew it wasn't going to win any Emmys and it was a bit sappy. However I still liked the twists on what can be a tired winning a jackpot fantasy.

Just off the top of my head, here's some of the crap we are being served this Fail: "Betrayal", "We Are Men", "Ironside", "Hostages", "Once Upon A Time In Wonderland", "Dads", "The Goldbergs", "The Crazy Ones", "The Millers" and "Super Fun Night".

Of the new Fail shows above the only ones I've watched are "Ironside" and "We Are Men". I like Blair Underwood and he oozes charisma, however this show is terrible. How many cop shows do we need where the cop will break any law to get justice? This show having low ratings is no surprise to me.

Here are some shows and why I'm not even going to watch an episode.

"Betrayal": Have you seen the previews for this stupid looking show? I'm surprised anyone is watching it, they must not have seen the previews. Either that or they like shows about adultery.  I read about TV shows that get made, but the network decides not to air them. How bad are those shows if they don't get on the air, but this dreck does?

"Hostages": One of the dumbest concepts to ever come to network TV. This show has received low ratings and probably will be cancelled soon.

"Once Upon A Time In Wonderland", thanks but I'm "Shreked" out. And did you see how bad the graphics were in this show?

"Dads": If they would have presented this concept to me before filming I would have been glad to tell them what a dumb idea it was.

"The Millers", did you laugh watching any of the previews? Neither did I. Sample dialogue: "What kind of coffee maker is it?" "White". Do not cue the laugh track.

"The Goldbergs": Love the 80's, hate shows that aren't funny. Sample dialogue: "What do you want for your birthday?" as Mom talks to her teenage son, who is in the shower. In a high pitched response "Privacy".

"Super Fun Night": trying to maximize Rebel Wilson's popularity , before her star loses it's shine. Based on the previews, chances of this show being good: 0%. Chances of this show lasting long: 0.1%.

I haven't watched "The Crazy Ones" either. I might watch an episode once, but don't think I'll make that a regular occurrence. Robin Williams can be funny, but watching him every week? Also I've read that Williams was financially forced to return to TV, so that adds another level of sadness to this show.

Other shows that I've actually seen:

I wrote about "Lucky 7" and "Ironside" at the top of this article.

"We Are Men": A show that also could be called "Why Women Hate Men". I actually saw the first episode of this show and to say it didn't break any new ground would be a major understatement. Last night I watched the second episode of this show. More of the same stupid jokes, mostly about sex, and predictable plots. When I got back to my computer I read on ew.com that "We Are Men" had been cancelled. Of course I'm surprised it was ever allowed to air in the first place.

"Sleepy Hollow" this show I was looking forward to and the first episode was decent. However the second episode was very mediocre, slipping into that supernatural nonsense again. Then I read the blurb for episode 3, from that blurb I had no desire to see the show. I want to watch a show I haven't seen 10 times before, only with a different name.

I watched the first episode of "Trophy Wife", it was an ok show. Although it was trying much too hard. If nothing else it features the very attractive Malin Ackerman. I want to watch at least one more episode before I make my final verdict.

"The Blacklist": I've seen the first 3 episodes and it has been ok, that's the most praise I can give to a new Fall show this season. Again the stories don't break any new ground. However any show that has James Spader has at least that one thing going for it. And Megan Boone has the best cheekbones on television. If nothing else this show gives us Spader and Boone.

"The Michael J Fox" show has had it's moments in it's first three episodes. Although it has too many sex jokes, I was under the impression the show was targeting a younger age group. The cast is likable and I have at least one genuine laugh each episode. But this show reminds me a lot of last season's "Go On", another show with a star returning to TV that had it's moments. As with "Go On" I don't think "The Michael J Fox Show" is going to have a second season.

Season 4 of "The Walking Dead" starts Sunday. It's been one of my favorite shows the last 3 seasons. However the Season 3 finale was dreadfully boring, a lot lot of nothing occurred. Why did they keep the Governor on the show? For someone that's suppose to be such a great villain, he sure is boring. Last season took too long to get to the big confrontation and when it finally came it was anti-climactic. The Governor killed a bunch of his own people and then he and his two remaining henchmen left. The least the producers could have done at the end of Season 3 is to get rid of The Governor. Now this season we'll have the threat of this lame character coming back at any time. This might be my last season watching this show, assuming I survive the whole season.

Somehow despite a very soap operaish season "Nashville" was renewed. It had one of the worst finales of any show ever and it still came back? After that terrible finale I lost any desire to watch the show any more. However the show does have a lot of great music and Connie Britton, even with those two things  "Nashville" is still not good enough to watch. I predict it won't make it through it's second season.

"Castle" remains good although the Washington DC angle just didn't work. Keeping Beckett away from the crew of cops she had such great chemistry with didn't work. In the third episode "Need To Know" Beckett was fired at the end of the episode. Hopefully this means the show can go back to how it was the first five seasons. I've missed the group chemistry of Beckett, Castle, Esposito and Ryan.

Also no one will say "Blue Bloods" is the best show ever, but it's a pleasant enough diversion. Tom Selleck has one of the greatest mustaches ever and is an extremely believable police commissioner. Also Bridget Moynihan is looking better than ever this new season.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites