Wednesday, October 23, 2013

themusicaddict's World Series Preview: A Lot Of Runs, Red Sox Win In 6 Games

Hello,

Following spring training, an always grueling regular season and the playoffs it's come down to this. On Wednesday the World Series starts, the match up will be the Red Sox vs. the Cardinals. It seems the two teams are very evenly matched and I expect a fairly good series. The only two predictions I'll make are that I predict that it will be a high scoring series. If I was given over/under on 70 total runs I'd take the over cautiously. I'm so glad I don't have to put money where my mouth is. I believe St. Louis has a better pitching staff- they shut down my Dodgers in the NLCS. However I predict their great pitching staff will be challenged by the powerful Red Sox offense. I don't expect either Cardinals pitching or the Red Sox offense to completely dominate. However both units will get victories. St. Louis can score a lot of runs as well, especially since they'll be getting Allen Craig back in limited form.

My second prediction is that the Red Sox will win this Series in 6 games, I just think the Red Sox are too good. After going so long without winning the World Series the Red Sox will win 3 World Series in 9 years.

Other baseball notes: the Giants paid how much to Tim Lincecum? He's accomplished so much in his career but a 2 year- $35 million dollar contract for a pitcher with an over 4.00 ERA last season? That's crazy, I'm guessing this is some kind of appreciation for all of his great performances over the years. He has won 2 Cy Young awards and 2 World Series, is there any other active pitcher that has done that?Either it's appreciation or with Barry Zito's terrible contract finally coming off the books maybe they just felt an incredible need to overpay another pitcher on the down side of his career.

I'm not sure what the Dodgers are doing with Don Mattingly. They fired bench coach Trey Hillman on Tuesday, which obviously seems to be a shot across Mattingly's bow. Mattingly was with the Dodgers before the Guggenheim ownership group took over and it seems they aren't convinced he's the best manager they can get. On the other hand I think Mattingly has done more than enough to hold on to his job. What I'd do if I was the Dodgers is offer Mattingly a one year contract in the $5-6 million range. That way it will be a compliment to Mattingly but also a relatively inexpensive opt out for the Dodgers if things don't turn out like the Guggenheim ownership group desires. They can include incentives into Mattingly's contract that if he meets certain conditions then an automatic multiyear contract extension will kick in. The Dodgers would then set high, but reachable, incentives for Mattingly to meet.

But hand in hand I think the heat needs to be put on Dodgers GM, Ned Colleti , as well. He needs to do a better job at signing players. No more Brandon League or Ted Lilly type contracts. Mattingly can only manage with the players he's given.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites