Sunday, March 12, 2017

(Updated and Completed December 20th, 2019) Chart Flashback: October 5, 1985: The Legends and One Hit Wonders (Part 1)

Hello,

Thanks to Entertainment Weekly magazine, via Billboard, here's a top ten singles from October 1985. I always love doing these blogs. It reminds me once again how great the music of the 80s was, the best decade for music ever. 1985 was a big year for me, I graduated from high school and went away to school for the first time.

I love these specific week countdowns, it features some of the greatest legends of the music business and some one hit wonders. This time I decided to break out of just the Top Ten, thankfully Billboard allows people to see the actual Top 100 songs for each week.  So in addition to the Top Ten I picked 17 other songs that captures the 80's so well. Some of these are great songs, novelty songs and some songs I had completely forgotten. In parenthesis I listed where the song is going up, down or is a debut.

What, you didn't know Billy Crystal had a hit song? I remember this song, but I wasn't aware it had actually appeared on the Billboard Singles chart. This song captures a very specific moment in time. It was during a moment of purple rain as there are references to Apolonia and Vanity. 91) Billy Crystal "You Look Marvelous" (heading down):


This was one Ocean's biggest and last hit songs. 87) Billy Ocean "Mystery Lady" (heading down):


Young also had the #27 song on this chart, the forgettable "I'm Gonna Tear Your House Down". I love this song so much!! Essentially Young was a one hit wonder. 84) Paul Young "Every Time You Go Away" (heading down):


Officially I think Jones only had two hits, however he had a bunch of great songs. However he didn't have enough songs to make my Top 106 Greatest 80's musicians. 74) Howard Jones, or Ho Jo, "Life In One Day":

I don't remember this song at all., but I like it. 73) Jennifer Holiday "Hard Time For Lovers" (heading up):


Another song I didn't remember initially, that is until I heard it. There were so many soul/funk/black musicians that only had one hit in the 80s. Few black musicians broke out in the 80s, I wonder why that was? "Object" is a very good song, why didn't they have any more hits? "Till The End of Time" isn't a good song. 69) Starpoint "Object of My Desire" (heading up):



Starpoint's "He Wants My Body" is a pretty decent song, but this song didn't even cross my radar until tonight.



Here's a funk band that had a few big hits, but they could only keep up the magic for a couple of CDs. Like too many of these seemingly great bands, they faded away too quickly. Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam are one of my favorite of the more obscure 80's bands. This is 67) "I Wonder If I Take You Home" (heading down):


Another Billy having one of his last hits, although Joel continues to draw huge crowds when he performs now. Joel has always been a great performer, but even the greatest song can eventually lose it's luster. Joel also had the 27 song on this week's chart "You're Only Human (Second Wind)". 65) Billy Joel "The Night Is Still Young" (Debut) :


Another funk/soul band with a limited career. This is one of my all-time favorite ballads. 56) Klymaxx "I Miss You" (heading up): 


themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites