Thursday, February 19, 2009

Round 1 of Top 36, Feb 17th and 18th, 2009 Part 1

Hello,

Tuesday night's show was very disappointing. I was looking at iTunes and out of the 12 performances I only want to buy one of them. The more I think about Tuesday's night show, the more I'm disappointed with it. What a stink bomb! Let's hope the next two weeks are a lot better. Megan Corkrey sings next week, yeah. Let's hope she doesn't pull a Casey Carlson. Last night Corkrey received screen time!



Tonight's theme was Top Ten hits from when the Billboard charts started, 50+ years ago. That isn't much of a theme. TMAR = themusicaddicts rankings after the show announcing the Top 36. My new rankings will be out Sunday.

1) Jackie Tohn: Tonight's show started off with the person I ranked 30th of 32 contestants. (Four contestants I hadn't ranked due to the fact that I did not know enough about them to form an opinion.) After I see the other four singers and what they can do, I am sure she is going to drop. She is terrible, how did she even make the Top 36? I don't like one thing about her. (Lenesha Young didn't make it but Tohn did?) On one of the many sucky arrangements of the night she killed Elvis's "A Little Less Conversation". Her outfit was ugly. Even though the song was only about 90 seconds it ran on too long. I hate, hate her. She wanted to be a "rockin' entertainer", but she wasn't. She gave herself a grade of A- on the results show, please. On my notes I gave her a 1% chance of making the Top 12, I might have been too generous. (Making the Top 12 either through their first Top 36 performance or through the wild card round.)

2) Ricky Braddy: (TMAR = Not rated.) Can you say "cannon fodder"? He virtually had received no screen time until Tuesday's show. Paula pointed that out, she was also saying he was one of the best singers in her recent interviews. Braddy chose to sing Leon Russell's "A Song For You". What a boring song, please future "AI" contestants do not sing this song. His voice is okay, but why choose such a wussy song? Simon said he has "no star quality" and who can disagree. The sad thing is he was one of the better performances of the night. I give him a 5% chance to advance.

3) Alexis Grace: (TMAR = 13, but streaking up) She sang another Aretha Franklin song, "Never Loved A Man". (I need to add some more Aretha to my iTunes.) This was the only one of the 12 performances I want to spend my hard earned money on. In my opinion this was the performance of the night by a long way. Although she was wearing too much lipstick. She has a very sexy, blues vibe. The girl has a great voice. Simon called her a "dark horse". I call her a contender, especially after tonight's show of suckitude. I really like her. I like her voice and I love her personality. She is great, great, great. I was being a little conservative and only gave her a 80% chance of advancing to the Top 12. I was nervous she might not advance.

4) Brent Keith: (TMAR = 12) He wants to show us who he is as an artist. He did that by singing "Hicktown". A wierd song choice, but I actually liked his rocking version of that song. Kara called it "safe" and he should have "taken more risks". Simon said "nice voice" but "safe but forgettable". I like him more than the judges do. This was probably his last one good shot at glory and he did not do enough. I give him a 2% chance of advancing to the Top 12.

5) Stevie Wright: (TMAR = 20) She rocked out the version of Taylor Swift's "You Belong With Me". (BTW: Swift is new issue of Rolling Stone magazine's cover girl.) Randy in one of his robotic utterances "not hot for me". Kara was disappointed and Paula said it was "not the right song". Simon said she had "zero chance to make it through to the next round". This shows that 16 or 17 is too young to be on this show, I would prefer the ages be between 20-29. Alexis is mature enough, but Stevie isn't. I gave her a 1% chance of making it to the Top 12, which is probably 1% too generous.

6) Anoop Desai: (TMAR = 4) An early front runner had a very disappointing showing. After kicking butt in Hollywood with Bobby Brown's "My Prerogative", he sang Monica's "Angel of Mine"? A song that I have never heard and wasn't missing out on much apparently. It's an okay song and Desai has a nice voice. Where exactly does that voice come from? All the judges liked his performance and so did I. However I don't think anyone was overwhelmed. Simon said the song was a "little bit too grown up for you". Simon also said Anoop has massive likability and I agree. He is the kind of person who if he does not make it in "AI", he will be very successful in some other field. I still give him a 75% chance of making the Top 12. If he can make the Top 12, I think he can still be Season 8's "American Idol".

I am not sure how the wild card round is going to work. Seemingly it will have it's own show. I'm not sure if they will have 12 singers that did not make the first cut and give them another shot. (In one of my previous blogs I made some suggestions about who I would add to a wild card round. Briefly I wouldn't mind seeing Leneshe Young, Emily Wynne-Hughes, Ryan Johnson, John Twiford or Raquel Houghton again.)I'm not even sure how far they will go back to select those people who will sing on the wild card show. All I know for sure is that the judges will pick the final 3 of the Top 12 from the wild card show.

I'll be back tomorrow with the next 6 singers from the very disappointing Week 1 Top 12 episode. Week 2 should be a lot better, it's loaded. Among the singers competing that have a chance to be great are Adam Lambert, Jasmine Murray, Jesse Langseth, Matt Breitzke, Matt Giraud, Megan Corkrey and Mishavonna Henson. Unless a miracle happens the rest are cannon fodder. themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites