Thursday, February 5, 2009

Puerto Rico/ New York Auditions briefly, Melinda Doolittle



Hello,

This is going to be a quick blog. Warning: spoilers ahead and I'm only going to review the highlights.

1) Jorge Nunez: Unlike Von Smith, he has a strong voice but doesn't over sing. His singing of "My Way" in Spanish was fantastic. He didn't sing as well in English but still have a great voice. I really like him. It does not surprise me that he reportedly has made it to the Top 36.*

2) Jessika Baier: She relentlessly killed Celine Dion's "I Surrender". She over sang that song, she comes from the Von Smith school of singing. She then begged the judges on and on, her segment was way too long. Couldn't have that time gone to a good singer?

3) Melinda Camille: She's a little goofy but I like her voice. She sang "Feeling Good", a song I am not familiar with. She likes dancing naked in her room which is TMI. She is unemployed, but with her being a free spirit that doesn't surprise me.

4) Joe Contreras: the human iPod. He was funny but bad. Simon Cowell said about his performance: it's "everything I hate".

5) Jackie Tohn: For some reason the judges really like her, I am not real impressed with her yet. She seems to be a little over hyped. Sorry Jackie, like the book, I am just not that into you. I didn't like her version of Jason Mraz's "I'm Yours". She reportedly makes the Top 36. I hope she showed a lot more in Hollywood.

6) Nick Mitchell (Norman Gentle): He is very campy but I really like him. He brings a shot of much needed humor to a show that goes for the dramatic when it can. His "And I'm Telling You I Am Not Going" was mediocre. (By the way that is a great song, FYI it is on the "Dreamgirls" soundtrack. If you can sing that song well, you are a great singer.) He then needed a chair and sang "Amazing Grace". The jokester can really sing! "American Idol" needs a contestant like him that can bring some humor to the show. Even after he gets cut, he should still be allowed to perform every week for his entertainment value. Surprisingly he makes the Top 36.

7) We saw brief snippets of Ashley Hollister and Kenny Hoffpauer, both were good but their runs ended in Hollywood. We heard a bit from the gorgeous Kendall Beard, but not enough to get an idea of how good of a singer she is. We will see more of her as she also reportedly advances to the Top 36.

8) Monique Garcia Torres: She is the 16 year old from Puerto Rico. I really liked her voice, she barely made it through to Hollywood as the judges split 2-2. She has a great voice but needs more confidence. I think she needs to wait a couple of years and try again. I am confident she would do a lot better. Sadly her dream ends in Hollywood.

9) Alexis Cohen: She's trying to stretch out her 15 minutes of fame. Last year she traumatized us in Philadelphia, this year in New York. Not only "no" that she is not going to Hollywood but "HELL NO!" She is as gimmicky as the Bikini Girl, just not as interesting. Alexis please give up, you will never be the next "American Idol". You wouldn't even be the Winnemuca or Walla Walla Idol.

10) Patricia Lewis Roman: When will the contestants learn not to attempt Whitney Houston songs? (See what I wrote about "And I'm Telling You I'm Not Going!) She wasn't very good on "I Wanna Dance With Somebody". Simon says that song is harder to sing than some of Whitney's ballads, which is very surprising. The judges split on her also and she barely made it through to Hollywood. Again that is where her dream died.

Of the 147 contestants that made it to Hollywood, 9 came from Puerto Rico and 26 came from New York. I wish more time was spent on the good contestants, rather than the lame Alexis Cohen, Adeola Adegoke and begger girl Jessika Baier. Apparently only 300 people showed up to the Puerto Rico auditions. I don't think "AI" will go to Puerto Rico again.

My blog received 31 page views and had 19 readers yesterday, which is a lot for my blog. I would like to thank everyone who takes time to read my blog.

One more thing, I received this in my e-mail box this morning:


Melinda's Debut Album "COMING BACK TO YOU" Now Available In-Stores EVERYWHERE!
Have you gotten yours yet?
Go to one of these spots and get it now:

MelindaDoolittle.com
amazon.com

We need your help! If you have an opportunity to visit your local music store and have any problems finding Melinda's album please send us an email to:
alert@melindadoolittle.com

MelindaDoolittle.com Exclusive Combo and MalariaNoMore Benefit! ORDER NOW!! Melinda Doolittle's highly anticipated debut CD - COMING BACK TO YOU - is HERE. ONLY 200 COMBOS WILL BE PRODUCED! LIMITED EDITION COMBO INCLUDES:

- Autographed copy of COMING BACK TO YOU
- First Ever Melinda Official Hoody (only 200 will be produced)
- Provides a net for a family in Africa ($10). For every $10 donated, you are providing a family with a mosquito net in Africa and saving lives!

themusicaddict supports both Melinda Doolittle and her cause for Malaria No More. Melinda I wish you the best of luck in everything you do. Keep me informed and I will keep my readers informed.

I should be back tomorrow with the first of my Hollywood week reviews, themusicaddict

*When I say reportedly making it to Hollywood, I am referring to the list leaked to votefortheworst.com of the alleged Top 36. We will know how accurate that is one week today. That is when "AI" will unveil the official Top 36.

No comments:

Favorites