Friday, February 27, 2009

Round 2, Complete overview 2/25/09

Hello,

1) Jasmine Murray (TMAR- will be going down). She was okay on Sara Bareilles "Love Song". This was not the right song for and overall I was expecting a lot more. I agree with Randy that a Rihanna song would have been a lot better. (Who knew that Randy could offer intelligent commentary?) I don't even know if she'll get a shot at the wild card. Simon was disappointed with her performance and said she may be a couple of years early. Although I usually hate to agree with him, he's probably right. I probably won't buy this song.

2) Matt Giraud (TMAR- will be going down) "Viva La Vida"- Coldplay. A very disappointing performance. I hate to harp on it but he definitely didn't choose the right song. His "Georgia" during Hollywood week was fantastic. I could only understand about half of the words he was singing. It would be a much better show if the producers allowed them to play instruments in this round. I don't know if I'd download his song if it was free, and I'm a free music freak. With Randy liking him, he might get a wildcard invitation. From what I hear the judges pick two people each for the wildcard show. After that night's performances, the judges pick the final three contestants going to the Top 12.

3) Jeanine Vailes (TMAR- at least she will be getting out of the not rated bunch) She sang Maroon 5's "This Love". She is this year's winner of the cannon fodder queen, which she pointed out. The way she made that point it came out as being sullen. I won't be buying this performance. I'm pretty sure her "AI" journey is over.

4) Nick Mitchell: (TMAR- he will be staying about the same.) For the third time he sang "And I'm Telling You I'm Not Going.", the "Dreamgirls" classic. He won't even be getting a wildcard shot, but he was funny at least. He's obviously using this as a stage to further his comedy career. I'll buy this performance, just for the hilarity of it. I wish the MP3 would include him calling Simon "sassy pants".

5) Allison Iraheta: (TMAR- she will be soaring up) She sang Heart's Alone". This was definitely one of the best performances of the night. She comes off as weird and I don't know if I like the red hair. However the girl can sing and I love that husky tone to her voice. I think she's going far. I am definitely buying this performance. She doesn't need to worry about the wildcard as this performance advanced her to the Top 12.

6) Kris Allen (TMAR- he'll be moving up from not rated) The cannon fodder king did a pretty good job. He sang Michael Jackson's "Man In The Mirror" and I really liked his performance and his funky vibe. I'll probably buy this performance. He advances to the Top 12.

7) Megan Joy Corkrey (TMAR- she'll be going down slightly) She sang Corrine Bailey Rae's "Put Your Records On". Other than her off putting dance, I liked her performance. She has a fantastic voice, although I wasn't overwhelmed by the song choice. Love her voice but I'm so over that song. All the judges love her, I think she has a very good chance of making it to Thursday's wildcard round. We will know the complete Top 12 after Thursday's show. I'll buy probably all the other performances but not this one.

8) Matt Breitzke (TMAR- he'll probably be dropping a bit) He sang Tonic's "If You Could Only See". I like his tone of voice, like his look and thought he did pretty well. I loved the rocking arrangement of that song. Due to the rocking arrangement I would probably buy this song. With three of the judges not liking him, he'll be lucky to make it to the wildcard round.

9) Jesse Langseth (TMAR- she'll probably be staying about the same). She sang Kim Carnes "Bette Davis Eyes". One of the many classic songs from the 80's. I thought she chose a pretty good song, Kim Carnes sort of has the same kind of singing voice. 50/50 on buying this performance. I'm not sure what it is but there is something that bothers me about her. She'll be lucky to make it to the wildcard round.

10) Kai Kalamma (TMAR- he'll be going up slightly) He sang David Ruffin's "What Becomes of The Broken Hearted?". I was surprised by his performance. He's been one of my least favorite contestans so far, but he sounded pretty good. Simon said he'd be a "good back up singer". That's obviously a kiss of death. I'm 50/50 on buying this song. I don't see the wildcard round in his future.

11) Mishavonna Henson (TMAR- she'll probably be going up a bit.) She sang Train's "Drops of Jupiter" I love her voice and thought she was pretty good. I don't know why the judges were hating so much on her. If it was up to me I'd just put her straight into the Top 12. I love her and she has unlimited potential. I will probably buy this performance.

12) Adam Lambert (TMAR- I'm still not sold on him.)Like Danny Gokey, he's one of the producer's pets. He sang the Rolling Stones "Satisfaction". He's in the final spot of the night, also known as the pimp spot. He's definitely confident and one can see his theatrical background in his performance. I also agree with Randy Jackson, he reminds me a lot of Edward Cullen. Cullen is one of the main characters in the "Twilight" series. He would me much more believeable to me in that role, a lot more than Robert Pattinson. I thought Lambert's performance was okay, you could say that he didn't give me satisfaction. Simon said that Mishavonna "left me cold", well Lambert did the same for me. No on buying his version of "Satisfaction".

Allison, Kris and Adam advanced to the Top 12. Mishavonna, Megan and maybe Jasmine and Jesse should be given wild card slots. Jasmine would get the wildcard from me based on her potential.

"AI" ratings have been dropping a lot this season so far. Although I still love this show, I think its days are numbered unless they make drastic changes. There still are 20 + million people watching "AI", but their ratings generally have been down about 10% overall from last season. In fact on the results episode vs. last year's same show, the ratings are down 26%. Last season's ratings were down from the previous years.

My revised Top 36 rankings will be coming tomorrow and there will be some big changes.

Have a good weekend, themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites