Monday, February 2, 2009

Salt Lake City "American Idol" auditions.

Hello,

On the nights of Tuesday, February 3rd and Wednesday, February 4th are the first two parts of "American Idol" Hollywood week. Both will be hour long episodes. Part 3 is Tuesday, February 10th and it will be a hour as well. On Wednesday, February 11th Hollywood week concludes with a two hour episode where the Top 36 will be announced. (Of course if you don't want to wait that long, check out votefortheworst.com and get the purported Top 36 list.)

This week I am again working a lot of hours. I have limited time to write so I am going to try and cram the final 3 audition cities into one or two blogs. Salt Lake, my home city, will be today. Warning Spoilers ahead.

Salt Lake City:
13 people from Salt Lake earned golden tickets. I actually expected a higher number than that.

1) David Osmond: As a lifetime Utahan I hate the Osmonds. Any time someone mentions Utah, they seemingly have to mention three things. Those being Mormons, polygamy and the Osmonds. So I was not expecting much from David Osmond. However I quite liked his performance of Take 6's "Something Within Me". He also looks like Chris Cornell. He gets cut in Hollywood however.

2) Chris Kirkham: He came with his friend in a giant rabbit costume. I honestly think that hurt him. That's unfortunate as I really thought he was good. I loved his take on Del Amitri's "Roll To Me" and also the snippet of "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" that he sang before Simon cut him off. Cowell, who is the person that is behind the TeleTubbies, not liking a giant rabbit costume seems ironic.

3) Frankie Jordan: I loved, loved her take on Amy Winehouse's fantastic "You Know I'm No Good". There are conflicting reports on whether she made it to the Top 36. According to the votefortheworst.com leaker she didn't. However she seemingly slipped to tmz.com that she was still on the show. I really like her and I would put her ahead of several people on votefortheworst.com's Top 36. For instance I like her a lot more than Von Smith, Jackie Tohn and Tatiana Del Toro. (Someone please tell me that Tatiana Del Toro didn't really make the Top 36.)

4) Megan Corkrey: The Top 36 singer was fantastic. She chose sort of a unusual song, "Can't Help Lovin' That Man of Mine". I really liked her performance of it. Her voice is great and she is very attractive. I think she has a chance to go a long way in this competition.

5) Austin Cisneros: I thought he was okay but I don't really need inspiration from a 17 year old. Thankfully he did not make it through to the Top 36, because he could have been this season's annoying David Archuleta like candidate. (We do not need any more Archuleta or Sanjaya like contestants.)

6) Jarrett Burns: We were just shown a snippet of him. I really liked him as well and his take on "Put Your Records On". Apparently he wasn't good enough to make the Top 36 though.

7 & 8) Then the show closed with Taylor Vaifuna (Top 36). I think she could turn out to be a really great find or very annoying. I am sort of split 50/50 at this point. Rose Flack: The Rathdrum, Idaho singer. I really liked her version of Carole King's "I Feel The Earth Move". The barefoot, quirky contestant didn't make it through to the Top 36 though.

Tomorrow I will try and review the Puerto Rico and New York auditions. They weren't as bad as I had heard. There were some really good auditioners. As a preview I surprisingly liked Nick Mitchell (Norman Gentle). It is hard for him to be serious but his singing of "Amazing Grace" was pretty good. That is a powerful song.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites