Friday, February 20, 2009

Round 1 of Top 36, Feb 17th and 18th, 2009 Part 2

Hello,

Before I get to the rest of Tuesday and Wednesday's "American Idol" shows this past week, I have some other things I would like to mention. For instance, right now I am listening to the standard version of U2's new CD, "No Line On The Horizon". It's available for a limited time on myspacemusic.com. This CD will come in several different formats. It's sort of bizarre, myspace plays all but the last minute of some of the 11 songs. That is probably to dissuade people from recording it and then selling it as a bootleg. It is strange getting into the groove of a song and then it abruptly ends without any sort of warning. Also every few songs one needs to click on an advertisement for the music to continue.

Random "American Idol" news: Am I the only one getting sick of Danny Gokey already? I find him annoying. Unless he starts kicking it up a notch, I'll be having flashbacks of David Archuleta and his complete annoyance last season. Of course pairing him Tatiana on a results show can't help any. Why did she get more air time than him anyway on the results show until he began singing? Let's hope Tatiana's Idol run is finished and that Megan Corkrey and Jasmine Murray's runs are just beginning.

RCA has announced that it has dropped Clay Aiken from their record label. I think he has a nice voice but what hurts him is that he is just so off putting. Something about him just screams "freak". I am not sure what it is, it's not because he's gay. That is aside from his freakishness. Ruben Stoddard has a new CD coming out in June. I hope that it sells well for him, he seems like a cool guy. But does anyone care about him any more. Seriously how weak was the season he was on if he was the winner? I don't dislike either of these former Idols, I just think their 15 minutes of fame are up.

More details are coming out about the Wild Card round episode on March 5th. The information I am relaying comes from joesplaceblog.com. That's a great "AI" fan website. They say that it will probably be a hour long show with 6-9 singers. The fourth place singer from each of the first 3 rounds will get an automatic spot. (That means Anoop Desai don't mess it up this time! Bring the funk!) The judges will pick the remaining singers, probably people from the first 3 rounds. (I would be fine if they also gave Leneshe Young another shot.) From the wild card episode the judges will make the final 3 selections of the final 12. I'm saving it for another blog, but I am not a big fan of this format. If you have one bad week, but are a good singer, you are out of luck.

Sunday I will be unveiling my new Top 36, there have been some big changes following this last Tuesday's disastrous show. By the way the 12 singers that will be singing this Tuesday (their current themusicaddict ranking, after the Top 36 announcement.) Adam Lambert (TMAR = 23), Allison Iraheta (TMAR = 24), Jasmine Murray (TMAR = 2, yes she is one of my favorites), Jeanine Vailes (TMAR = Not Rated. I just don't know enough about her, she has virtually received no air time. She's probably cannon fodder and literally has one shot at "Idol" success.) There is also Jesse Langseth (TMAR = 12), Kai Kalamma (TMAR = 29), Kris Allen (TMAR = NR At least he has received some screen time, although he's probably cannon fodder as well.), Matt Breitzke (TMAR = 5), Matt Giraud (TMAR = 14), Megan Corkrey (TMAR = 1, my favorite after the audition round), Mishavonna Henson (TMAR = 9) and Nick Mitchell (Normand Gentle) (TMAR = 16). What will he do? He will probably at least be entertaining.

Back to Tuesday's show:

7) Casey Carlson: (TMAR = 19) What a disaster! If she sung as well as she rocks a bikini, this competition would be over. Unfortunately for her and us she doesn't. She beat up the 80's classic, The Police's "Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic". My wife said she needs to sing more powerfully, she's right about that. She is gorgeous but wore a butt ugly dress. Randy really went out on a limb (sarcasm alert) when he said "that was not good". Simon said her "singing was atrocious" and that "she shouldn't have been allowed to sing that song". Chance of advancing to the Top 12: .1%. I give her such a "high" rating because you can never count out a miracle happening.

8) Michael Sarver: (TMAR = 6) He sang Gavin DeGraw's "I Don't Wanna Be". I liked his version of that song, though I seem to be in the minority. All the judges, except Paula, didn't like him. Simon wanted America to give him another shot because of his likability. That tells me he would have been invited to the wild card show even if he hadn't made the Top 12. I gave him a 10% shot of making it to The Top 12. Obviously I was mistaken on that as the spot that I thought would go to Anoop Desai went to him.

9) Ann Marie Boskovich: (TMAR = 18) She sang Aretha Franklin's "Natural Woman". When I heard she was going to sing that song I said to my wife she will either be great or terrible. I was wrong about that as she was neither, she was okay. I like her voice though. The judges did not like her and Simon said she was "not good enough". I give her a 10% chance of making the Top 12.

10) Stephen Fowler: (TMAR = 15, but dropping like a rock.) He tortured Michael Jackson's "Rock With You". What the hell was that and why did he pick that song? (I listened to Michael's version today and it was as good as I remember. What was up with the terrible arrangement of that song? His performance was very disappointing. He and Casey Carlson were the two biggest disappointments of the night. After Fowler forgot the words in Hollywood week, Simon had the line of the night when he said he "wish you would have forgotten the lyrics". Fowler virtually has no chance of making the Top 12. My chance for him making the Top 12 is .1%.

11) Tatiana Del Torture: (TMAR = 32) Before Tuesday night's votefortheworst.com picked her as the contestant it wants people to vote for in their attempt to derail the "AI" juggernaut. She sang an okay version of Whitney Houston's "Saving All My Love For You". Simon said the the most accurate line of the night that Tatiana is a "complete and utter drama queen". He also stated the obvious in that she is "desperate to be famous". I'm hoping she has no chance of advancing.

12) Danny Gokey (TMAR = 7) He sang Mariah Carey's "Hero". Without a doubt he's the producer's favorite. He has received possibly the most screen time out of all the contestants. He has a big built in fan base and a back story the producers love. He easily had one of the best performances on a very weak night. The judges loved, loved, loved him. Paula Abdul said "sold out arenas" and some idiot (Randy) called him the "redeemer of the night". Simon tried to keep things in perspective by not drinking the same kool-aid the other three contestants sang. He called Gokey "good". It's too early to be referring to a singer as a "redeemer".

The three people who advanced to the Top 12 from Round 1 are Alexis Grace, Danny Gokey and Michael Sarver.

I will be back on Sunday. themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites