Sunday, March 1, 2009

Top 36 following Week 2's performances

Hello,

Here is my new Top 36 after Week 2's performances.
1) Alexis Grace, last week #1. I'm still enthralled by her bluesy cover of Aretha Franklin's "Never Loved A Man" and I'm looking forward to her singing again. It was a close victory over Allison however.
2) Allison Iraheta, last week #20. Her cover of Heart's "Alone" was terrific. She rocked that song, she did it even better than Carrie Underwood when she was an "Idol".
3) Lil Rounds, last week #4. I'm fairly certain she'll easily be the female contestant from Week 3 moving to the Top 12. Keep an eye out for Felicia Barton and Taylor Vaifauna. Rounds only liability is she sometimes lets her voice go full blast, restraint is a good thing. She'll probably get the pimp spot Tuesday, that is the space usually reserved for the producer's favorite. The pimp spot is the final singer of the night.
4) Megan Joy Corkrey, last week #2. I was disappointed a bit by her performance. I hope next time she picks a much more vocally appropriate song than "Put Your Records On". I'm pretty sure she's going to be in the Top 12, unless she completely blows it in the wildcard round. Sing something with a jazzy or bluesy feeling. Maybe some old school Melissa Etheridge or Tracy Chapman's "Fast Car".
5) Mishavonna Henson, last week # 10. I'm not sure why the judges were such haters. I love her. She's relevant, vibrant and has a great voice. I liked her singing of "Drops of Jupiter" but she does need to pick a better song in the wildcard round. How 'bout Katrina and the Waves "Walkin On Sunshine" or Deee-Lites "Groove Is In The Heart".

Yes, I realize my Top 5 are all females. After the first two rounds of the Top 36 these 5 contestants are the cream of the crop so far.

6) Michael Sarver, last week #5. He dropped through no fault of his. I'm expecting Jorge Nunez and Scott Macintyre to give him a challenge for #1 overall male vocalist Tuesday. Ju'not Joyner is an unknown quantity so far.
7) Anoop Desai, last week #6. I'm looking forward to March 5th, the wildcard episode, where I hope Anoop redeems himself. Bring the funk, no more slow, sappy ballads. I think Michael Jackson's "Billie Jean" or The Time's "Jungle Love" would be great.
8) Kris Allen, last week not rated. He may be a little bit high. However I really liked his "Man In The Mirror". (Too bad he's such a freak, but Michael Jackson was the man back in the day.) I also like Allen's funky vibe. Why hasn't he scored more screen time before last Wednesday's episode?
9) Jasmine Murray, last week #3. This was one of the more disappointing performances Wednesday night for me. "Love Song" is not the song she should have sung. If, a big if, she gets an invite to the wildcard show, she's really got to bring it. Rihanna, Amy Winehouse, Alicia Keys or some classic Aretha would all be good song choices. Maybe something by Janis Joplin, if she wants to go for something a bit out of the box.
10) Danny Gokey, last week #7. I think he'll continue to drop in these rankings, he just sort of has that David Archuleta feeling for me. He's got a much better voice than Archuleta, but they're both equally annoying.
11) Scott MacIntyre, last week #9. He finally gets to sing Tuesday, in the round of 36. I liked both his audition and what I saw of him in Hollywood. In my notes of Hollywood, I wrote great, great, great about his performance of Daughtry's "Home"in Hollywood. I think he might be hurt by the fact that he can't perform with an instrument.
12) Jorge Nunez, last week #12. I'm really looking forward to his performance Tuesday night. I loved his audition round dual performances. He sang better in Spanish but still sounded good in English.
13) Felicia Barton, last week #16. Another performance that I'm looking forward to. Check this out:



There's video of her on youtube.com singing "Black Horse and A Cherry Tree". That would be a good song choice for Tuesday as well. I know Katherine McPhee already made this song her own. Felicia can do a great job with it as well.
14) Taylor Vaifauna, last week #15. Another contestant I'm expecting big things from on Tuesday. Let's hope she is more Mishavonna or Allison than Casey.
15) Matt Breitzke, last week #8. I liked his version of Tonic's "If You Could Only See" although I may be one of the few who did. Unfortunately I think his "Idol" journey is over.
16) Adam Lambert, last week #21. I'm just not sold on him and I hate how much he's being pushed by the producers. Usually if something is overhyped they aren't very good. In this case, though Lambert is very good. Please producers stop pimping him so much.
17) Jesse Langseth, last week #12. I liked her version of Kim Carnes "Bette Davis Eyes", but there's something about her that leaves me cold. She'll be lucky to make the wildcard round. If she does, she really has got to blow it out of the box to advance to the Top 12.
18) Arianna Afsar, last week #19. She's still an unknown quantity at this point. I expect her to do pretty well Tuesday. See #14.
19) Brent Keith, last week # 13. I think his "Idol" journey is over. I expected more from him.
20) Nick Mitchell, last week #18. His was definitely one of the most entertaining performances of Round 2. He's not going any further, but thanks for the memories, comic relief and not taking yourself too seriously.
21) Ricky Braddy, last week #22. He's received more press lately about his website than his singing. That's not a good sign. He's one of Paula's favorite's so it's highly likely he will get a wildcard spot.
22) Ann Marie Boskovich, last week #17. I think her "Idol" journey is over as well.
23) Matt Giraud, last week #14. Matt, why in the hell did you pick a Coldplay song? That would only be a good choice if you were on a show called "American Wimp". That's a terrible song and you did a terrible performance of it. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a wildcard invite however.
24) Nate Marshall, last week #23. On Tuesday he could be genius or a complete disaster. Please spare us the bad dancing. I liked him in his group performance in Hollywood, but his "Disturbia" during the same week was weak. He's really helped by being able to play an instrument also.
25) Alex Wagner-Trugman, last week #25. I don't see him going further, but who knows?? He really has to bring it if he wants to advance. He will not be getting out of this group and he'll be lucky to get a wildcard bid.
26 @ 27) Kendall Beard and Kristin McNamara, which one is which again?
28) Jeanine Vailes, last week not rated. As a top 36 contestant, she should have received more screen time previous to this round. I liked her performance a lot more than the judges did. I feel confident in saying her "Idol" journey is over.
29) Kai Kalamma, last week #30. He's not one of my favorites of this season. However he was a lot better than I thought he would be.
30) Casey Carlson, last week #28. Sorry Casey, it's the end of the line.
31) Stevie Wright, last week #24. See #30.
32) Stephen Fowler, last week #29. See #30.

The bottom three all suck and they would all be lower if this was a Top 40.
33) Von Smith, last week #31. Like Lil Rounds, if he learns to sing with some restraint he would be a lot better. The screaming has got to go.
34) Jackie Tohn, last week #33. Please go away and take Tatiana with you. Her "Idol" journey is so over.
35) Tatiana Del Torture, last week #33. I haven't written about her for awhile. It's been so nice.
Not rated: Ju'not Joyner: Let's hope he's not cannon fodder.

This upcoming week on "Idol": Tuesday is the final round of 36, that'll be a two hour show. Wednesday is an one hour results show and Thursday will be a one hour wildcard show. The judges will decide the final three contestants to advance to the Top 12.

I'll be back tomorrow with songs rocking my iPod and anything else interesting. Have a peaceful Sunday, themusicaddict.

No comments:

Favorites