Sunday, March 8, 2009

Top 36 following Week 3's songs and Wildcard round

Hello,

Here's my new Top 36, you will notice that my Top 13 does not correlate with the final 13 that made Season 8's finals. That's because if it was up to me I'd have picked a slightly different 13 finalists. I'll write the contestants position, their name, and their position last week. If they made the Top 13, I'll show (13) and my odds of them being this season's American Idol and my rational for that. Got that?

1) Alexis Grace (1) (13) Odds: 10-1. She is my #1 contestant for three straight weeks, that's pretty impressive since she sang all the way back in Week 1. As Simon says she has that Kelly Clarkson vibe about her. Judges please stop asking her to dirty herself up. Alexis, like my advice to Megan yesterday, stay true to yourself. Please keep on bringing that blues feel to the songs you sing. That'll keep you distinct, which is something you'll need as you aren't a producers favorite. You have got to bring it every week. Michael Jackson suggestion, possible "Dirty Diana" or "Smooth Criminal".

2) Allison Iraheta (2) (13) Odds: 50-1 She absolutely kicked butt with her powerful performance of Heart's "Alone". You're probably wondering why such terrible odds, it's because she's so young. I don't know if she is mature enough to have amazing performances week after week. Her apparent strangeness won't help her either. The producers want someone to win that's safe and a lot of time that means boring. They have set up the show to get as close to what they want as possible. That's why I give such good odds to Danny Gokey. That's also why the very boring David Archuleta came in second last season. Of course having talent helps and Allison definitely has that. Her Michael Jackson song suggestion, "Dirty Diana". "Smooth Criminal" possibly would be good song for her as well.

3) Lil Rounds (3) (13) Odds: 2-1. She has that tremendous voice and she showed it on that Mary J. Blige song last week. The producers love her and she has an inspiring back story that the producers will milk for all it's worth. She should be solid week in and week out. Michael Jackson song suggestion "Wanna Be Startin' Something", "Bad" or "Beat It". I would suggest "Billie Jean", but I don't see how they can make that song work with a woman singing it.

4) Megan Joy Corkrey (4) (13) Odds: 20-1. Not a producer's favorite but the judges definitely love her. Simon really likes her and he seems to have a lot of sway over the voting public. I think Michael Jackson week could be a great week for her, a week where she can gain some momentum. Michael Jackson song suggestion: "Rock With You" or "The Way You Make Me Feel".

5) Felicia Barton (13) She could've had a legitimate shot at winning "AI" if she had received a fair shake. As with that Alicia Keys song, she would have tore it up on Michael Jackson week. She was in a terrible position. She only got in the Top 36 because Joanna Pacitti was eliminated at the last minute. I think the judges would have been embarrassed if she made the Top 13. Because they probably thought how would people view us if she made the Top 13, after not initially making the Top 36? Yes, I think the judges are that shallow.

6) Mishavonna Hensen (5) How did she not even get a wildcard spot? She apparently wasn't even in the building when the wildcard contestants were announced. Her take on Train's "Drops of Jupiter" is definitely a song that I'm going to buy. She has a great look and an awesome voice. She has star written all over her, I just don't get what the judges didn't like about her.

7) Anoop Desai (7) (13) Odds: 3-1. What does he have going for him? He has a great amount of likability, how can you not like him? He brings the funk, he's fun, he's charismatic. (No I don't have a crush on him). The producers aren't necessarily the biggest fans but the judges like him. He needs to stick with the "My Prerogative" like performances rather than boring song choices like "Angel of Mine". Michael Jackson week should be right up his alley. Michael Jackson song suggestions: I could definitely see him doing well with "Billie Jean", "Beat It" or "Bad". I could also see him doing well with "Pretty Young Thing" He needs to make the arrangement a little more rocking. (Dear "AI" Band, please no more janky arrangements of songs. The singers need to bring their A game, so should you.)

8) Scott MacIntyre (11) (13) Odds 25-1. I seem to be one of the few who liked his "Mandolin Rain". He sang a great song very well. I hate to write it, but I think he's going to get some sympathy votes. He's nearly blind. I think he will go far on talent alone. I'd recommend he sing a Michael Jackson's ballad. Michael Jackson song suggestion: "Human Nature" or "I Just Can't Stop Loving You".

9) Jorge Nunez (12) (13) Odds: 25-1. I'm glad he's the one from Puerto Rico that made it through to the Top 13. He may struggle with Michael Jackson week. Michael Jackson song suggestions: I would make the same song suggestions that I made for Scott MacIntyre.

10) Michael Sarver (6) (13) Odds: 95-1. I think he'll be one of the first people eliminated. The judges like him as he has a great amount of likability. I think it will be a struggle for him to get past Michael Jackson week. He's really hard for me to come up with a song for him to sing. I would go with something funky but not too challenging. I suggest "Off The Wall" or "Rock With You" Although if he sings "Rock With You", use a different arrangement other than the one Stephen Fowler had. With that arrangement it didn't even sound like "Rock With You".

11) Kris Allen (8) (13) Odds: 100-1 and that might be generous. I was writing a list of the Top 13 from memory. I had to use my notes to remember him. He's sort of bland and very forgettable. He already has sang "Man In The Mirror", so that eliminates one song choice for him this week. I thought he did a pretty good job with that song.
I'd suggest "Just Good Friends" or possibly "Pretty Young Thing". He also should do something that makes him more memorable.

12) Jasmine Murray (9) (13) Odds: 100-1. She's sort of an enigma this season. I haven't been impressed with her as much as I thought I was going to be. She could be hurt by Michael Jackson week as well. Maybe sing "I Just Can't Stop Loving You". I had a hard time thinking of an appropriate song for her. For this week my only suggestion for her is to sing a ballad.

13) Kristin McNamara (27) She was hurt by lack of screen time and being too similar to Kendall Beard. When she finally sang she brought some passion with her. I'm confused that Tatiana got a wild card but Kristin didn't. I absolutely loved her take on Tracy Chapman's "Give Me One Reason". I had to look at my notes to see what song she sang though, so maybe that's something. I'm not a Danny Gokey fan, but I remember his singing "Hero".

14) Danny Gokey (10) (13) Odds: 2-1. He's a producer's favorite and also had Randy, Kara and Paula drooling all over themselves. Again he has a back story that you damn well know the producers are going to milk dry. I'm sure he'll be battling Lil Rounds and Adam Lambert for the pimp spot every week. Even if he doesn't win (let's pray) he's going to go a long ways. votefortheworst.com asks "So on Tuesday, will Danny stop mentioning Sophia, or will he sing "She's Out Of My Life" on a makeshift tombstone? Then again, there's the possibility of singing "Thriller" with backup zombie dancers wearing Sophia's head. And still that wouldn't be as tacky as using your dead wife to get a record deal." I predict he's going to sing something sappy this week. Something like "Heal The World" or "We Are The World". He's going to be using "inspirational" songs all the way through. Ick, that's another thing he has in common with David Archuleta.

15) Jesse Langseth (17) She was definitely original in her song selections of "Bette Davis Eyes" and "Tell Me Something Good". Maybe she was too original.

16) Ricky Braddy (21) I loved his take on Stevie Wonder's "Superstitious". I could see an argument being made for him to be in the Top 13. His coming out party was too little too late.

17) Matt Giraud (23) (13) Odds: 90-1. He's definitely not a producer's favorite and the judges seem to be lukewarm on him. I predict an early expulsion for him. He sang a Jackson 5 song in the wildcard round. He was okay, but I wasn't overwhelmed. Michael Jackson song suggestions: "Baby Be Mine" or "Remember The Time".

18) Matt Breitzke (15) I think he would have struggled with Michael Jackson week.

19) Adam Lambert (16) (13) Odds: 7-1. He's a producer's favorite but not exactly a safe choice with those pictures circulating on the 'net of him. I think that's going to turn a lot of people off whether it should or not. I'm not a big fan of his. I hated his "Satisfaction" in the Top 36. I also thought his "Bohemian Rhapsody" was very wimpy at his audition. Michael Jackson song suggestion: maybe "Black or White"? I'm not sure of a good song choice for him.

20) Nick Mitchell: (20) He should be allowed to sing this week, who else would sing "Thriller". I think he would sing a very campy version of that song as well.

21) Brent Keith: (19) He's already start to fade from my memory.

22) Ann Marie Boskovich: (22) It's hard for her to go any lower as the people for her are very weak.

23) Kendall Beard: (26) Other than her Dad's alligator dance, she's forgettable as well. That's the worst thing that can be said about you in this competition. Tatiana is annoying as hell, but at least she's not forgetable.

24) Alex Wagner-Trugman: (25) He went up in my rankings because he was the least awful of the remaining contestants.

25) Taylor Vaifauna: (14) Bad song choice sinks another contestant.

26) Kai Kalamma: He wasn't good enough to be invited to the show where the wildcard singers were announced. I'm not sure how he made the Top 36 though. He went up because his performance was better than many other terrible perfomances.

27) Ju' Not Joyner: (NR) He sang boring versions of "Hey There Delilah" in both Hollywood and the Top 36 round.

28) Jeanine Vailes (28) She's memorable for the wrong reasons, great legs.

29) Arianna Afsar (18) Why did you choose one of the most boring Abba songs there is and then give it a terrible arrangement? That's the kind of song choice that makes me wonder how serious you were about the competition.

30) Casey Carlson (30) It was enjoying looking at you, not so much listening to you.

31) Stevie Wright (31) I have a feeling we'll hear from her again. That's fine with me, just wait two or three years.

32) Stephen Fowler (32) A case of a singer that didn't live up to his potential.

33) Von Smith (33) I think he has a bright future in imitating Pee Wee Herman.

34) Nate Marshall: (24) Let's pray his 15 minutes of fame are over.

35) Jackie Tohn: (34) I'm still recovering from her torturous performance, at least I repressed the song she "sang". For the record it was a terrible arrangement of Elvis' "A Little Less Conversation".

36) Tatiana Del Torture: Coming soon to a karaoke bar near you. Two words Tatiana: please go away.

Good day, themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites