Sunday, March 15, 2009

March 15th Top 16 contestants on "AI"

Hello,

Here's my Top 16 countdown for March 15th, 2009. This follows the episode where "AI" went from 13 to 11 contestants.

Some news and notes before getting to the countdown. Entertainment Weekly magazine is predicting that Danny Gokey will win this year's "AI" crown. Although he's very high in my poll this week, I hope he doesn't win. In other Entertainment Weekly news the latest two "Idolatry" episodes are up. Michael Slezak and Kristin Baldwin discuss Danny Gokey and Kristin's intense dislike for him. She wants America to put the "go in Gokey" and send him home. Obviously he's going to be safe for a few weeks. Also they discuss why Megan Corkrey sang "Caw, Caw" at the end of her performance of "Rockin' Robin". Last but not least Slezak thinks it might be an Adam Lambert, Kris Allen and Allison Iraheta final 3. I wouldn't mind seeing Allison, but I won't be heartbroken over the exclusion of Kris and Adam.

Here's the Top 16: LW = last week

1) Alexis Grace (LW: 1)For the fourth consecutive week Alexis Grace is #1. How could she drop after her blistering take on Michael Jackson's "Dirty Diana"? She's solid week in and week out. I think she'll be around for a few more weeks at least. She's growing into a star in front of our eyes. Another thing I like about her is she doesn't get the hype of the big three.

2) Megan Joy Corkrey (LW: 4) The Queen of Quirkiness. Let's get the obvious out of the way. She's gorgeous and also she's a great singer. I absolutely love her voice. She also turned what could have been a song choice disaster into a joyful triumph. I love her but I don't think America likes her as much. With her joining Ryan Seacrest and Jasmine Murray at the center of the stage on the results show, I don't see her around too much longer. That's unfortunate, I definitely could see her being a break out star. I'm hoping she at least makes the Top 10 and goes on the "AI" tour.



3) Adam Lambert (LW: 19) He soared because his take on "Black and White" was fantastic. He didn't destroy it with over singing like he did on "Satisfaction". I thought he was pretty good. He also picked a very good song for himself. He's not one of my favorites, but I have to admit he looks like a rock star. Although I'm wondering what is he going to sing during Tuesday's Grand Old Opry episode?

4) Danny Gokey (LW: 14) The much reviled Danny Gokey, but I thought his performance of "Pretty Young Thing" was exuberant and joyful. (Crap I'm starting to sound like Paula.) He's another one of the big three, as determined by the producers pimping. This group includes Adam and Lil. I'm certain he won't stay this high for too long, but he definitely was one of the best last week.

5) Allison Iraheta (LW: 2) She dropped because I thought she chose a boring song with "Give In To Me". She sang the song with passion. Again I love her voice but the song felt longer than it actually was. It goes back to what the judges continually say "song choice, song choice, song choice". I don't think she picked very well this week. She might have a little trouble with Grand Old Opry week as well. If one can do well on Michael Jackson week and then Grand Old Opry week that says a lot about you as an artist.

6) Lil Rounds (LW: 3) Another great singer slowed down a bit by her questionable song choice. Her take on "The Way You Make Me Feel" was technically proficient. Unfortunately it was also very boring and not very joyful. She's one of the big three so she'll be safe for the next few weeks. However if she wants to win the whole thing, she needs to go back to the level of her previous performances. For instance her "Be Without You" was great. Of the big three she's the one I like the most overall.

7) Anoop Desai (LW: 7) I'm apparently one of the very few who liked his "Beat It". I thought he sang it pretty well, with a great deal of feeling. He's also a natural performer. Unfortunately I don't think he's going to be around too much longer.

8) Felicia Barton (LW: 5) Yes I know she's not in the competition anymore, but I still feel she should have at least made the wildcard show. Hopefully this isn't the last we've heard of her.

9) Mishavonna Henson (LW: 6) Another person who I feel was cut before she should have been. Although not my favorite song, I loved her take on Train's "Drops of Jupiter". She's young, vital and sings with a great amount of joy. If I had a record label I would love to have her and Felicia Barton on my label.

10) Scott MacIntyre (LW: 8) He chose an obscure song, "Keep The Faith", but he sang it very well. This is a song I have never heard of before, I thought he did a great job of singing it. Unfortunately I don't think he'll be around too much longer.

11) Jasmine Murray (LW: 12) Yes, she actually went up even though she was eliminated. She didn't have a big enough voting base. I'm a big fan of hers and at least for me she's very memorable. I loved her "I'll Be There". She chose a song that really fits her and did it well. She also looks great.

12) Michael Sarver (LW: 10) He dropped a couple of notches with his "You're Not Alone". In my notes I wrote why did he choose that song? He sang the song well but he needs to pick better songs. He will not last much longer in "AI" unless he raises his level of performance. He may do very well during Grand Old Opry week though.

13) Matt Giraud (LW: 17) He makes up the Vanilla Three with Sarver and Kris Allen. He put a bit of a funky twist on "Human Nature". However that kind of performance won't keep him around very many more weeks. He's okay but I can't really jump on his bandwagon.

14) Kris Allen (LW: 11) He's the very definition of vanilla. I know the girls like him. He isn't very memorable to me. I always have to look at my notes to remember what he sang. I'd be very surprised if he makes the Top 3 as Michael Slezak suggests. I seriously don't see him in the competition much longer.

15) Jorge Nunez (LW: 9) The poster boy for poor song choice. Why the hell did he choose to sing "Never Can Say Goodbye"? It was a very boring performance. After him and Tatiana I don't think "AI" will ever go to Puerto Rico again. (Yes I know that Tatiana didn't make the show through the Puerto Rico auditions. However that's where she is from.)

16) Ricky Braddy (LW: 16) I decided to keep him around for one more week. He sang Stevie Wonder's "Superstitious" very well on the wildcard show. With hindsight being 20/20 he probably should have advanced over Jorge and maybe even Jasmine.

Jesse Langseth and Kristin McNamara fell out of last week's Top 16 as they've been eliminated.

Other news: Today is selection Sunday. We'll find out who the 65 teams who will be going to The Big Dance. That's otherwise known as the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament. Congrats to the Utah Utes and the Utah State Aggies for winning their their conference tournaments and earning automatic bids. BYU will also probably be going to the Big Dance. Let's hope BYU can win a first round game finally. It would also be cool to see the Utes advance to the Sweet 16.

Have a good Sunday, themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites