Saturday, March 7, 2009

Wild card round review,

Hello,

We're now down to the Final 13. The finals start this Tuesday's. Yes, the rumors are true, Tuesday's theme is going to be Michael Jackson. That could be a great show or a train wreck. Michael Jackson has not been kind to "AI" contestants this year. (See Stephen Fowler's "Rock With You". That was another terrible arrangement.)

If you miss "AI" and want to see the performances go to mjsbigblog.com, she has links to all the performances. These video clips contain Seacrest's introductions and the judges commentary. (Am I the only one who thinks if the judges go away that would be a good thing? I don't need someone telling me what to think.) Upcoming this week both Kelly Clarkson and Kanye West will be appearing. I understand Kelly Clarkson but Kanye West? It's time for him to go away.

There's also going to be a big twist this week, rumors hint at a possible double elimination. Who knows, but I'm tired of the lame producers messing with the show. Let's just let the contestants sing and let America decide who the next American Idol is.

Coming tomorrow is my new Top 36 and also odds on who's going to win. My Top 36 is going to reflect how I like the candidates, even ones that have been eliminated.

Here's the review of the Wildcard show.

1) Jesse Langseth singing Rufus and Chaka Kahn's "Tell Me Something Good". She sang that with a very bluesy, funky mood. It sounds like the band had fun playing the song. I really liked her performance, but it was too little too late. She felt she did great and for the most part the judges liked it. She didn't advance to the Top 13.

2) Matt Giraud singing The Jackson's 5 "Who's Loving You". He sang with his "bluesy side the judges liked." I thought he was okay and I really liked the early blues feeling the show was starting with. He advanced to the Top 13. I think he will be very lucky to make the Top 10.

3) Megan Corkrey sang K.T. Tunstall's "Black Horse and a Cherry Tree". After Megan's funky performance of this song, I listened to the original by K.T. Tunstall. I also added it to my iPod. This song was on my mind all day. That is a great, great song. Corkrey has a great tone in her voice and I really like her. I like her version of that song better than K.T. Tunstall's. This is definitely a performance I'll buy, if and when I get the money. She has got to get rid of that awkward dance though. I saw some pictures at the Top 13 party and she was wearing way too much makeup. Megan be true to who you are and ignore the producers. If you don't win the competition so be it, being true to yourself is much more important. I get the vibe from you that you know that already. Megan advances to the Top 13.

4) Von Smith sang Elton John's "Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word". That was another strange arrangement. He's sort of ugly and there is something very off putting about him. He wouldn't be someone I would want to see for 12 weeks. How did he even make the Top 36? Mishavonna didn't get the wildcard but he did? At least he didn't make the Top 13.

5) Jasmine Murray sang Christina Aguilera's "Reflection" from the "Mulan" soundtrack. She's received some criticism for singing a song from a Disney movie. Who cares where the song comes from especially when it's a great song. Jasmine is finally starting to live up to her potential. Randy said she "improved 100% from the other day" and I mostly agree. She made it through to the Top 13, but I have a feeling it was close. I think she would be very lucky to make the Top 10 as well.

6) Ricky Braddy sang Stevie Wonder's "Superstition". (Stevie Wonder is the man, what a great singer and songwriter.) I finally understand why Paula loves him so much. He was absolutely fantastic singing this song. The band was in full funk mode, it's good to see them again. Producers please never hide the band again. They add sizzle to what is feeling like a too predictable, planned out show. Actually can we just get rid of the producers and let things play out organically? Back to Braddy, he was great. He did not make the Top 13, but maybe he should have after that performance. He can replace the forgettable Kris Allen or the producer's pet Danny Gokey.

7) Tatiana Del Torture sang the Whitney Houston classic "Saving All My Love For You". How about save another song for us? How about just go away? People better suited for the wildcard round include Kristin McNamara, Mishavonna Henson and Felicia Barton. She just went on and on with her drama and the judges kept on saying "we got it". Tatiana go away! Mercifully she did not advance to the Top 13.

8) Anoop "Dogg" Desai went back to his strength and funked out with Bobby Brown's "My Prerogative". (Every time I hear that song it makes me think of Eddie Murphy's joke about Bobby Brown learning a new word.) He has a great voice. I think he has a great chance of winning and for him especially it'll be all about song choice. He should be fairly comfortable singing a Michael Jackson song Tuesday.

I'm not even going to talk about the twist of a Top 13.

Have a great weekend, themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites