Friday, March 27, 2009

"AI" Finals Week 3, March 25th and 26th, 2009 Pt. 1

Hello,

Thanks as always to mjsbigblog.com that I just can copy and paste her list. Let's review.

Tonight's theme was 50 years of Motown, which is some of the greatest music ever made. Tonight's mentor was Smokey Robinson. He's written over 4000 songs, including some of the all-time greats. He and Motown founder Berry Gordy took the Idols on a tour of the Motown studio. What a great experience, I was very jealous. The Idols don't even realize how lucky they are to be able to see all the things they are seeing.

Why do they make the judges hold hands taking the stage? Why do they have them take the stage that way anyway? Also I'm hoping Kara is one and done after this season. I'm so sick of her. She needs to show more "artistry". Kara learned a new word this week, it's "artistry". She used that word with at least three contestants. She views music through a corporate America prism. I don't want craporate (craporate is what came up when I spell checked this blog) America in my entertainment. The only judge I would keep is Simon. Randy and Paula are dead weight week in and week out. Ryan stop asking those two questions, they don't ever answer them. Another sign of craporate America thinking.

Many of these songs are so classic that they have been covered by someone else and the new versions are also classic. I'll indicate that as I go along. TMAR = themusicaddicts ranking

1) Matt Giraud sang “Let’s Get it On” by Marvin Gaye. (TMAR will be going up.) (New classic version: Jack Black's version is not classic, but it's pretty good.) I'm listening to the original version now and Giraud's compares favorably. He has really grown on me over the last couple of weeks. That's after having solid versions of "So Small" and "Let's Get It On". Randy has started pimping him. It's about time the judges started pimping someone other than the big three, especially when two of those are starting to falter. Simon liked him too and his opinion seems to hold the most sway with the voting audience. I'm not sure how he made it into the bottom 3 this week. He shouldn't have been in the bottom three just like Allison Iraheta shouldn't have been there last week. Grade: A. Buy: Of course.

2) Kris Allen aka Mr. Vanilla. He sang “How Sweet it Is” by Marvin Gaye. (TMAR it would be going down but there's no where for him to go.) When I think of this song I think of James Taylor excellent version. I didn't even know until last night that Gaye sang it also. Where did he get that jacket from? Was the Army/ Navy Surplus store having a sale? Was those numbers on his jacket his birthday? Ahhh! His performance was okay, another vanilla performance though. This was the first of Kara's use of the word "artistry". Simon is liking him as well. I think he has survived to this point based on his looks. He has all the lack of excitement of David Archuleta. (Archuleta is appearing in his hometown tonight and tickets are $25 and $35. Seriously someone would pay that much in this bad economy to watch him try to sing?) Grade: B Buy: hell no!

3) Scott MacIntyre he of the pink ugly pants. (TMAR= He'll be staying about the same.) He slowed the intro and added a jazzy twist to the Supreme's "You Can't Hurry Love". (New classic version is by Phil Collins.) Again he had the funny line of the week when he said "they didn't tell him he was wearing pink pants until 10 minutes before" (paraphrase). I like him, although his voice isn't amazing. He brings some- thing to the stage. He has a very sweet and charismatic personality. If singing doesn't work out, he should go into the ministry. I also think things will work out for him. The judges didn't like him at all. Even Paula struggled to give him positive remarks. Grade: B Buy: no!


# Megan Joy Corkrey - “For Once In My Life” by Stevie Wonder - VIDEO - iTunes
# Anoop Desai - “Ooh Baby Baby” by Smokey Robinson - VIDEO - iTunes
# Michael Sarver - “Ain’t Too Proud to Beg” by The Temptations - VIDEO - iTunes
# Lil Rounds - “Heatwave” by Martha and the Vandellas - VIDEO - iTunes
# Adam Lambert - “Tracks of My Tears” by Smokey Robinson - VIDEO - iTunes
# Danny Gokey - “Get Ready” by The Temptations - VIDEO - iTunes
# Allison Iraheta - “Papa Was a Rolling Stone” by The Temptations

Part 2 is coming tomorrow and on Sunday look for my top whatever, I haven't decided yet. I've had a lot more recent readers and page views recently. I'd like to thank those who are coming to my blog.

see you tomorrow, themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites