Friday, March 13, 2009

Miscellaneous News n' Notes

Hello,

I have a few moments to write a quick blog. Let's get all the "AI" news out of the way. Tuesday's theme is songs from the Grand Old Opry or some such nonsense. That's such a huge catalog of songs, it's verging on not even being a theme. Obviously it's mainly a marketing ploy more than anything for "AI" and the Grand Old Opry. I'm sort of digging the Carrie Underwood remade "Home Sweet Home", how about you? It's a million times better than last year's boring Ruben Stoddard "Celebrate Me Home".

After one week of ew.com's predict who is going home contest, I'm tied for 461st place. That's out of 5780 competitors. I'm tied with ew.com's "AI" guru, Michael Slezak. (Michael I'm patiently waiting on new "Idolarty" episodes. We were suppose to pick who was going home and answer bonus questions. I was right on Jasmine Murray about her going home. (We were only suppose to pick one person.) For the record I thought her "I'll Be There" was fantastic. I think she's really good. While she was singing I said to my wife that I'm sure that's not the last we'll be seeing of her.

My new approximate Top 15 will be coming out on Sunday. I haven't figured out how many people I'm going to have in my Top whatever. I know there's only 11 remaining contestants, I just want to include some other people who were booted from the show too early. Can we use the judges save retroactively and put Felicia Barton and Mishavonna Hensen back into the running.

Other news: If you get bored on a Sunday night I have a way you can kill a couple of hours. Watch the always amusing "Celebrity Apprentice". The "celebrities" this year include Tom Green, Dennis Rodman, Joan and Melissa Rivers and many other celebrities who are on a downward trajectory. One of the best parts of the show is Donald's daughter Ivana. She is one of the most gorgeous women in the world and is unbelievably smart. Here's a picture of her but it does not do her justice.



I have been so busy lately with my blog, my family and my job that I haven't had much of a chance to watch movies. However I watched "The Changeling" the other day with my beautiful wife. It's a great movie. Angelina Jolie is fantastic in it and it's another very good movie directed by Clint Eastwood. That being said, what a sad dreary storyline. The story about a kidnapped child and the serial killer who kidnapped him is very brutal. It's incredible the trail of misery the serial killer left behind. A very good movie, but not for a first date of if you are looking for a light movie.

Other news: there are rumors surfacing that both "Cold Case" and "Without A Trace" may be cancelled this May. I think that would be a terrible decision. I know the TV executives don't care about quality, they just want shows with great ratings. It's not about art, it's just about money. Although I plead with those same executives to extend the lives of these two great shows. Both shows are well written, have great characters and actors and are very entertaining. If you are a fan like me, please support both shows by watching them and requesting they not be cancelled. BTW: Is it too late to give "Life on Mars" a reprieve?

Recently Michael Jackson announced a 10 date concert comeback based in London. Those initial 10 shows have now expanded to 50 shows. Those 50 shows sold out in 5 hours. Yes, all 50 shows sold out in 5 hours! The concerts start out on July 8th. They should be quite a spectacle, whether intentional or not. As I've written before the man is a musical genius and people are still connecting with that. It's too bad he has such a freakish side as well.

Speaking of freakish here are Top 5 most searched for items according to yahoo.com over the last hour. I think this is indictive of America's slippage into stupidity. I know I'm coming off as a crank. 1) Bristol Palin- apparently she has broken up with her baby daddy. Why is anyone surprised and why is that even newsworthy? 2) Shannon Doherty- something about plastic surgery and her resuming her role on the new version of "90210" 3) "Resident Evil 5" I hadn't even realized there were "Resident Evil" 2, 3 or 4. Nor do I ever have any intention to see the first one. 4) "American Idol" okay I can understand that one. It's in that part of the show that a lot of people like. Also everyone I'm sure is trying to find out what Tatiana is doing. Not! I expect to see her show up in another reality show. 5) Joaquin Phoenix: his lame, wanna be rap behavior. Those last two are both very good at drawing attention to themselves.

The 7 hottest songs rocking my iPod last night. My definition of hottest in this context is songs that are great still even after hearing them so many times. 1) "Paperlate"- Genesis What the heck is this song talking about anyway? I don't know but it's a great song. 2) "Come Dancing"- The Kinks Here's another song that has held up remarkably well over all these years. 3) "Poundcake"- Van Halen Surprisingly the studio version of this song is much better than the live version. It's very rare when it ends up that way. 4) "Smoke on the Water"- Deep Purple This song is almost as old as me and still is a great, great song. This is definitely a classic. 5) "Big Mouth Strikes Again" (Live). This song sounds so good live. I prefer Morriseys updated version over the version he sang as part of the Smiths. 6) "Sugarland"- Sugarland A great, great song by a great, great band. 7) "Gimme The Car"- The Violent Femmes Another classic song by a classic band. I just don't understand why Nirvana has such mythic status and the Femmes don't. Nirvana is the most overrated band of all-time, essentially a one hit wonder.

Have a great weekend, I'll be back Sunday with my "AI" top whatever- themusicaddict.

No comments:

Favorites