Wednesday, March 18, 2009

"AI" Finals Week 2, March 17th, 2009

Hello,

Last night was the Grand Old Opry theme on "American Idol". The first mentor of this season is Randy Travis. Does he not have the coolest voice? I thought he was trying to be nice rather than completely telling the Idols what he actually thought.

I thought this episode could be a train wreck but it actually wasn't bad, other than Adam Lambert. I copied and pasted the following list from my favorite "American Idol" website, mjsbigblog.com. She has a great website, I usually check it a couple of times a day. Again I'll rate these songs with a letter grade on the A-F system. Plus I'll also tell you whether I would buy the song or not.

About the judges, is it just me or was Paula especially flighty tonight. I'm beginning to hope that this is Kara's last season. I'm sick of her phrase "the reason we fell in love with you". Also if she tells Alexis to dirty it up one more time, I'm going to scream. Just let Alexis sing, she's one of the best this season.

1) Michael Sarver: ”Ain’t Goin’ Down Til the Sun Comes Up” by Garth Brooks. This was a bit of a disappointing performance. He sang breathlessly, which is something that shouldn't happen on a two minute song. It's about time for him to go back to being an oil rigger. I don't think he's going home, I think he has too big of a fan base. Grade: C, a generous grade. Buy? Hell no!

2) Allison Iraheta: “Blame it on Your Heart” by Patty Loveless. She wore one of the many ugly outfits of the night. In the preliminary video she talked about breaking out some terrible dance moves. Thankfully she didn't. Kara said she's "getting better every week". Randy thought her performance "was dope". While she was singing I turned to my wife and said she could win this whole competition. I love the tone of her voice. This was not her best performance, but she was still solid. Grade: C+ Buy? probably not.

3) Kris Allen: “To Make You Feel My Love” by Garth Brooks. I don't get what people see in Mr. Vanilla. He bores me to tears. I thought his performance was boring and lackluster. The judges really liked him though. In fact Randy had the really unintelligible comment, "tender moments from my dawg Kris." Grade: D. Buy? No way.

4) Lil Rounds: “Independence Day” by Martina McBride. First of all Simon her name is Lil. You are correct Lil is short for Little, but that is not her name. Her name is Lil. Her performance was good and solid, but not overwhelming. Three of the four judges liked it, all except the aforementioned Simon. Simon still by far is the best of the four judges. Grade: C=. Buy? probably not.

5) Adam Lambert: “Ring of Fire” by Johnny Cash. TRAIN WRECK! This song shouldn't be done with a "Middle East flair". This was a terrible performance. Someone had compared him to Daughtry, please he's not even close. Simon was right when he said, "What the hell was that?" He also was hilarious and accurate with people are "throwing their televisions out the window". Mr Irrelevant Randy said his performance was "hot". I'm so ready for Adam Lambert to go home. Grade: F. Buy? hell no!

6) Scott MacIntyre: “Wild Angels” by Martina McBride. I was not on the same page as the judges tonight. I thought MacIntryre's version of this song was fantastic and the best performance of the night up to this point. I loved how he responded to Paula when she suggested maybe he shouldn't use the piano each performance. That would help him connect to the audience more. His response was hilarious, "we could move the piano closer". Grade: B+. Buy? yes.

7) Alexis Grace - “Jolene” by Dolly Pardon. This was a strange arrangement. During the second half of the song, the song starts kicking in. She looks like a star, but this wasn't a great performance. Simon said it's a performance we'll "forget in 10 minutes". He's right and that's probably a good thing. Grade: C. Buy? No.

8) Danny Gokey: - “Jesus Take the Wheel” by Carrie Underwood. It was an okay performance but he's so dorky. The judges continue pimping him though. Why? It was pretty funny when Simon said with that coat on it looked like he "was going on a polar expedition." The hype line of the night was when Paula said that Carrie Underwood would buy his version of that song. I highly doubt it. Grade: D+. Buy? No.

9) Anoop Desai: - “You Were Always on My Mind” by Willie Nelson. Kara in one of her few accurate comments of the night said this song was "almost untouchable". She's right because no one will ever top Willie Nelson's version. Simon said Anoop went from "zero to hero". Grade: B-. Buy: no. However I'm going to buy Willie Nelson's classic, heartbreaking version of this song.

10) Megan Joy Corkrey: "Walkin' After Midnight" by Patsy Cline. Cline is one of the all-time greats of country music. It was obvious Megan was very sick last night. I hope they don't make her perform the lame group number tonight. Let the poor girl rest. She's really trying, but it's hard for her not to do her little Corkrey dance. Again she is beyond belief gorgeous and I love her voice. Simon was right when she said was a "little too made up". Whoever is in charge of make up, does go overboard a lot of the time. Her dress was nasty though. I'm afraid this might be her last week. Grade: B-. Buy? Probably just because I like her voice so much.

11) Matt Giraud: “So Small” by Carrie Underwood. Giraud got tonight's pimp spot and he took full advantage of it. Simon said that he "outsung Danny". Simon, Danny is one of the producer's favorites. The producers probably locked Simon in his dressing room for not pimping up Danny. The judges liked him and his performance showed how good that song is. I didn't fully appreciate that song until I heard his version last night. Grade: A. Buy: hell yes!

Overall not a bad night. Tonight's result show is a big night, whoever advances from tonight is going to be on the "American Idol" tour. Tonight result's show is going to be a battle of fan bases. That's why I think Michael Sarver is safe. Scott MacIntyre and Megan Joy Corkrey are in the most danger. The judges save will only be used for Danny, Lil, Adam, Alexis and maybe Matt.

Definitely tune it in tonight as the lovely Carrie Underwood will be performing.

I probably won't be back until Saturday. Have a great day, themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites