Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Michael Jackson, more Whitney

Hello,

I was at the local grocery store and picked up the Rolling Stone Commemorative Michael Jackson issue. As I was going through the line the checker said, "I'm so sick of hearing about him", I'm sure that's a sentiment shared by many of you. I'm trying to keep what I write about him to a minimum.

Yesterday I received a pleasant surprise when I got the Michael Jackson book a day earlier than expected. I read about the first 35 pages of "The Magic, The Madness, The Whole Story 1958-2009" by Randy Taraborelli. (Obviously this was rushed out quickly, now I hope they go back and fix everything.) So far there isn't much insight. Joe Jackson pushed his kids to become big stars, making them rehearse twice a day. He beat Michael and his brothers and almost ignored his daughters. Also while he was accompanying the Jackson Five on tour, he was stepping out on their Mom. Joe's abusive behavior is nothing new but I didn't know he was cheating on his wife. I'm not taking this book at face value. If I have read the same facts somewhere else I'm believing the facts stated . From my study of his life recently I can see how the abuse etc. led to some of his strange behavior later in his life. Again Micheal Jackson himself didn't take the opportunity to clear up any misconceptions or rumors in his autobiography "Moon Walk".

Michael Jackson is the next cover subject of Rolling Stone. I watched the video of the interview with the author of that article. Her name is Claire Hoffman and the video is available on rollingstone.com right now. (She said she was in Utah on the day when he died. As you probably know Utah is where I live, Claire what were you doing in Utah? It was good to have you here.) I look forward to reading that article. Also the Rolling Stone Commemorative Issue is pretty interesting, reprinting some old articles about Jackson and a review of each one of his CD's.

Also the early reports have the Michael Jackson movie made from his rehearsals out in October. Concerts usually don't translate to the theater very well. It could be fantastic or a complete disaster. Nearly a month after his death, the Michael Jackson furor is dying down. For the first time in four weeks, one of his CD's is not the top selling CD in the land. Daughtry's new CD "Leave This Town" is the new #1 selling CD in America. Jackson's "Number Ones" did still sell 192,000 copies last week though.

Here's some much more pleasant news, Whitney Houston had another appearance where 9 songs were played from her upcoming CD "I Look To You". The 9 songs were played, and just as they did in London, received a standing ovation. Rolling Stone columnist Sean Fennessey writes that reports of Houston losing her classic singing voice are incorrect. I'm so glad to hear that. (How do you get invited to these things anyway?)

The following is a direct quote from Fennessey, "Rumors have also been floated that her historically powerful singing voice has begun to fade. Hearing I Look To You, a modern-sounding and crisply produced comeback, should prove any doubters wrong. Whitney’s voice is as soaring and capable of gliding power as it was 25 years ago when Davis first began work with the singer." (Thanks to Rolling Stone!)

Other news for you big fans of "Mad Men" Comcast On Demand currently has all 13 episodes of Season Two available right now. I watched the first three last night. I hope to watch the final 10 episodes again before Season Three starts. We finally have a starting date for Season Three, it will begin on August 16th.

Finally I received my new copy of Spin magazine today. It has a feature of The 100 Greatest Bands You've (probably) Never Heard Of. I thought they were wrong and so I looked through the whole list. However there is not one band or musician I have ever heard of. These musicians aren't even one hit wonders, they are more like no hit blunders. Now obviously that doesn't make them bad bands, although they are extremely obscure. Some of these bands have extremely cool names, for instance Big Drag, Born Against, Junk Yard Band, Electric Frankenstein, The Heavy Blinkers, Maggotron, The Pooh Sticks, Renegade Soundwave and Sweatmaster. Now if their music is as creative as their band names, then their music is worth checking out.

That's it for now, have a great day. themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites