Saturday, July 4, 2009

"Slumdog Thousandaire"

Happy July 4th,

After hearing many good things about it, my wife and I finally watched "Slumdog Millionaire" last night. I'm sure you can tell by the title of this blog that we didn't like it. It's suppose to be an inspirational movie? It might inspire people to drink because it's such a depressing story. It's an okay movie, but I highly doubt its the best movie of its year. I haven't seen any of the other nominated best pictures nominees for that year. FYI: The four other nominees are "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button", "Frost/Nixon", "Milk" and "The Reader". I haven't seen any of those four movies. (I would like to reccomend a movie that came out of nowhere and actually lived up to it's hype. That's the excellent "Life Is Beautiful". You definitely need to see that movie. It's a 5 star movie.)

If you gave me the choice of having the DVD or the soundtrack to "Slumdog Millionaire" I would definitely take the soundtrack. While I never want to see "Slumdog" again I enjoyed the music from the movie. A lot of that Indian music is very good.

Yesterday I watched the last 1.5 hours of VH1's Top 90's videos. I wasn't surprised by what was #1. It's Nirvana "Smells Like Teen Spirit". That's a great song. However I get sick when one of the guests said something to the effect that Nirvana is our generation's Beatles. Really? Hell no! Nirvana is one of the most overrated bands of all-time. Kurt Cobain was not a genius. If it wasn't for "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and Cobain's suicide the band would be where it should be. That's relegated to the dustbin of history. For my generation I would say Pearl Jam is our Beatles. I would say Nirvana is our generations Herman's Hermits.

I have some birthday money still. My favorite thing to buy is music. I've been looking for quality music to buy, but I'm extremely picky. I'm also very cheap, that's why I look at amazon.com to see what their extremely discounted MP3 CD of the day is. Unfortunately most days its something that's not really exciting. For instance, today is a Steve Miller CD. He's good but I already have all of his music that I want.

Some of the CD's I have bought with my birthday money: 1) Chickenfoot's debut CD, 2) "When The World Comes Down"- The All-American Rejects 3) "The E.N.D."- Black Eyed Peas 4) "Love on the Inside"- Sugarland (I love Sugarland!) 5) "The Crane Wife"- The Decemberists and 6) "Dangerous"- Michael Jackson. I only paid $5 for the Cd's by the Black Eyed Peas, the Decemberists and Chickenfoot.

Now I'm looking for the next CD to add to my collection. I think I have found it. That CD being Metallica's "Load". I had this CD before but it fell out of favor and I traded it in for credit. I was listening to 30 second snippets last night on amazon.com. I had forgotten how good this CD is and I was kicking myself for trading it back in for credit. I would have already rebought "Load" but so far I'm to cheap to pay the $9.99 to buy it. Maybe some day!

Enjoy your Independence Day, unfortunately I have to work today. Although I'm expecting it's going to be very slow at the VZW call center. themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites